Can your dogs can predict the weather?

Thread: Can your dogs can predict the weather?

DefaultCan your dogs can predict the weather?

I went to go take Jonah for a walk about a 1/2 hour ago. We got to the end of the driveway, and he refused to walk. It was a little windy, so I thought maybe that was just making him nervous. There is also an Akita 2 houses down that broke his tie out and charged Jonah the other day on our walk, so I thought maybe he was remembering that (that's another story in itself, but story short, I yelled at the akita to go home and keep up walking Jonah back to our house; other than a small growl and sniff, he didn't have any contact with Jonah, but he is huge and I'm sure made Jonah as nervous as he made me. I did have an unsuccessful talk for the 3rd time with the neighbors on that).

Anyway, I finally coaxed him past that house, he stopped in his tracks again. He started trying to pull back home. I coaxed him one more house down, and after standing in the road at a deadlock for the next five minutes, I finally gave up and turned back home. He walked that way just fine. No sooner did we walk up the driveway did it start pouring down rain. We would have been way down the street when that rain came if I had my way (it took us 10 minutes to go 3 houses down). Next time I'll just take his cues and head home right away!

I think he could sense the air changes and wanted to stay close to home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can your dogs can predict the weather?

Oh yes! Especially with my beagles. When the barometric pressure drops the zooooooooomies factor rises exponentially.

My three labs? Not so much. They are aware, but hey! There are retrieves to be had before the heavens open up!

Seamus and Flynn

Not so much with Cooper but with Goldie, the yellow female I had as a kid, you could easily tell when a storm was brewing. The sky could be clear, it would be calm and basically a beautiful summer day. One look at Goldie and you could tell if we would be getting a thunderstorm. She would be restless & if you put your hand on the top of her head, you could feel her shaking. She was very accurate - there was ALWAYS a storm that day. She was bigtime frightened during t-storms, poor girl.

I miss her, she was a beautiful girl and a wonderful companion. :'(

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

My dogs would have pulled me to stay OUT if it were going to rain!

Actually the Lhasa we use to have could give us warning signs a storm was coming usually about 2 hours before it hit.
    Kim

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lexi is not quite that specific, but I've noticed she does get a bit antsier when there are storms, especially thunderstorms, predicted.

Otherwise, I notice, especially in the winter, when we might get a snow storm. When the barometric pressure starts to drop she gets really wound up, sort of a like kids.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

barometric pressure usually drops to signal a change in weather. Theory is dogs can sense the drops. They drop before snow storms, thunderstorms. So actually Lexi is being quit specific.
    Kim