Adding a 2nd Lab to family
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a 2nd Lab to family

Mojofl2 is offline Member

DefaultAdding a 2nd Lab to family

We will be adding another lab to our family in March. Our current Chocolate will be 3 in January. We are very excited but anxious at the same time.
    Have fears of our first one with acceptance and how that will go.
    Also, with jealousy and how we will conquer that.
    I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions that they could share of their past experiences of bringing in a puppy to an existing household with a Lab that has had the sole attention of Mommy & Daddy. (he is a very happy and loving and social lab with no aggression issues what so ever and is a very laid back happy go lucky guy)
    I just thought any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Adding a 2nd Lab to family

Treat it just as you would if you had an only child, then had another baby. Don't let the older one think its been replaced. Make sure it gets solo time with you away from the new one. Walks, playing alone outside, etc. Let the older dog set the rules in playing with the puppy. If the older one growls in annoyance at the puppy bugging them, let them without interfering. As long as there is not bloodshed, I let mine work it out.

Laura

Congrats on adding to your family! We added another lab to ours shortly before our girl turned three. I have to agree whole heartedly with everything Laura said. She gave me advice when we were getting ready to add Charlie to our family.

We make sure to spend alone time with each dog, and make sure that the older dog (Riley) got special attention. The new puppy had to earn privileges, etc. They got into their fair share of scuffles, but they worked things out and now Charlie knows what she will and will not tolerate. They love each other dearly and I cannot imagine life without both of them.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congratulations. We got Abby when Molly was 3. Molly had her bowl set down first, Molly would go out the door first. We never had any problems. Molly is very gentle & let Abby chew on her ears & legs. : We made sure we had one on one time with Molly after Abby arrived. Molly had free run of the house but Abby was crated when we weren't home, until she was about 15 months & could be trusted.
    We crated Abby in the downstairs family room & Molly was upstairs. No problems with that either.

When Abby went to obedience classes we also took Molly (again) but they seemed to like doing things together. We have never had any issues with aggression or fighting. Both are spayed.

Congrats! Everything Laura and the others said is right let them work it out unless there is blood involved (which I highly doubt their will be) we added Zeus (as an adult) back in May and it was the best decision we ever made. I was worried about Mocha having issues since she was an only lab before (we have a yorkie but they don't really play and Mocha is my dog) other than a few growlies at first they have got along famously!

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Well....we added our 2nd lab..umm 2 days ago? Hah, so my experience is still going. Our 1st lab is about 14 months old and our new girl is 13 weeks. Saturday night was a little tense. Not really much aggression just ALOT of excitement on Ty's part (first lab). He was really weary of her but wanted to play real bad. One time she came close to his bowl and he kinda let out a little growl/bark but nothing ever came about it.

They are slowly adjusting (well, I should say Ty is adjusting to her..she just loves him). They love to play together and Ty LOVES for Macie to chase him. No real issues as of yet! Good luck and if you check i'll probably post progress of ours throughout the experience.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG
    Well....we added our 2nd lab..umm 2 days ago? Hah, so my experience is still going. Our 1st lab is about 14 months old and our new girl is 13 weeks. Saturday night was a little tense. Not really much aggression just ALOT of excitement on Ty's part (first lab). He was really weary of her but wanted to play real bad. One time she came close to his bowl and he kinda let out a little growl/bark but nothing ever came about it.

They are slowly adjusting (well, I should say Ty is adjusting to her..she just loves him). They love to play together and Ty LOVES for Macie to chase him. No real issues as of yet! Good luck and if you check i'll probably post progress of ours throughout the experience.
    I have to say this. Please, do not let the pup anywhere near the older dogs food, treats, or favorite toys, for at least a few weeks, and you are 1000% confident there is no issue with possessiveness of any of it by the older dog. my son's 6 year old lab, who is best friends with Hershey Kisses now, almost killed her with one bite the day we brought HK home. Newman, the older dog, is one of the most gentle dogs I have ever known. He can get food possessive occassionaly, and that happened when he was chewing a rawhide and HK came up longside him. They were right next to my son and I when it happened in a split second. Please just be careful with the pup until you are absolutely sure.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

i love having 2 girls in our household. we got cinney when abbey was 3 and abbey had her potty trained in 4 days, which was a record in our household. abbey was the model older sister but like someone else mentioned, she is our alpha girl. she gets fed first, has her bowl well away from cinders, and we continued to make a huge fuss over her when we got cinney. we actually took abbey with us when we were lab hunting. the first house had something that abbey didn't trust and she did a low growl when she came in contact with this particular litter. we figured that she knew something we didn't and trusted that instinct. the next litter we went to see sent abbey into shivers and frothing with excitement. cinder, at 3 weeks, came up and bumped into abbey. we went back 5 weeks later, with abbey in tow, and brought cinder home with us. they are now inseparable and the best of friends and i am at peace with the decision to add another lab to our very fulfilled, very loving family.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Merlot_1 Guest

Be pepared for nonstop entertainment. They will ALWAYS want the same toy, even if they have a hundred of them, and will do bitey face with each other about 15 hours a day ;D And don't forget about the extra walks and playing fetch. Be prepared to get very little sleep for the next year or so ;D

my2labs is offline Senior Member

oh, i forgot about bitey face. the sounds they both make seem like they are tearing eachother apart but when it's rainy and sloppy outside, it keeps them entertained and wears them out. it's hilarious and i can't help but giggle everytime they do it.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast