Adding a 2nd Lab to family - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding a 2nd Lab to family

DefaultRe: Adding a 2nd Lab to family

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot_1
    Be pepared for nonstop entertainment. They will ALWAYS want the same toy, even if they have a hundred of them, and will do bitey face with each other about 15 hours a day ;D And don't forget about the extra walks and playing fetch. Be prepared to get very little sleep for the next year or so ;D
    Couldn't have said it better! Sounds like our two exactly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Don't worry! Baxter may pick up on your anxiety and react with you. Relax and enjoy the new puppy and Baxter will love his new companion. I never followed any of the rules - feeding, one on one time, alpha first, etc. Everything always worked out fine. If a problem comes up (possessiveness, jealousy...), then work on it, but it is likely that this will be a lot easier and more fun than you think.

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG
    Well....we added our 2nd lab..umm 2 days ago? Hah, so my experience is still going. Our 1st lab is about 14 months old and our new girl is 13 weeks. Saturday night was a little tense. Not really much aggression just ALOT of excitement on Ty's part (first lab). He was really weary of her but wanted to play real bad. One time she came close to his bowl and he kinda let out a little growl/bark but nothing ever came about it.

They are slowly adjusting (well, I should say Ty is adjusting to her..she just loves him). They love to play together and Ty LOVES for Macie to chase him. No real issues as of yet! Good luck and if you check i'll probably post progress of ours throughout the experience.
    I have to say this. Please, do not let the pup anywhere near the older dogs food, treats, or favorite toys, for at least a few weeks, and you are 1000% confident there is no issue with possessiveness of any of it by the older dog. my son's 6 year old lab, who is best friends with Hershey Kisses now, almost killed her with one bite the day we brought HK home. Newman, the older dog, is one of the most gentle dogs I have ever known. He can get food possessive occassionaly, and that happened when he was chewing a rawhide and HK came up longside him. They were right next to my son and I when it happened in a split second. Please just be careful with the pup until you are absolutely sure.
    Yeah it was intentional. And that was within about 30 minutes of them meeting. The other night, we were doing dinner for the dogs (3 of em..whew). So I put Ty's down first and I was walking into the kitchen with macie to give Chloe her food (then on to Macie's crate for her dinner)...I thought macie was behind me and when I turned around she was eating Ty's food WITH Ty I got a little nervous but Ty acted like she wasn't even there. Still, I got her quickly away and fed her on her own.

So we are feeding them separately. Only thing is...Macie just is SO disinterested in her food! Its like she was free fed at the breeders...like "oh...i'll finish it later".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Our boy was six when we added his sister. She was about 10 months old when they met. He was used to being around other dogs. Best thing we ever did. Good luck with your new pup.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

Mojofl2 is offline Member

Thank you EVERYONE for all your advice. It helps more than you know.
    I do have one more question.
    My current lab is a male and we want another male. Do you think this will be an issue. My husband and I don't think so but someone said it could be.
    Any thoughts?

Merlot_1 Guest

Two males could be a problem, even if both are neutered, but getting a female would be ideal. Male and females always seem to get along great with each other. Female dogs are just as much fun as males, and MUCH more easier to walk. They only squat once to pee. A male will stop at EVERY tree, bush, fire hydrate, etc.

All these posts are very helpful. We are thinking of getting another lab too. But, I had a lot of reservations about how Luka would react and if she would like to have another puppy around. Right now she is the Queen of the Castle. But she loves other dogs and I think she would like to have a sister.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Thanks for asking this question - I will be going through the same thing in a few months.

I agree - a female would be ideal. Then again, I am biased! LOL!! I think the stopping at every tree would drive me crazy!! ROTFLMBO!! *wink*
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luka
    All these posts are very helpful. We are thinking of getting another lab too. But, I had a lot of reservations about how Luka would react and if she would like to have another puppy around. Right now she is the Queen of the Castle. But she loves other dogs and I think she would like to have a sister.
    Yeah, I think she would too!!!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Well, we got a female because we wanted a little variety. Plus, the wife just really wanted a girl. I can't comment on how two males would be...I know some people around here have 2 males. But like you, I was told by a few that its better to have a male and a female. So far they are loving each other. Two peas in a pod!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast