blood in stool

Thread: blood in stool

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Defaultblood in stool

Yesterday I posted because Harlee had diarrhea all day yesterday, since then I have made chicken and rice because her stomach was upset and given her a bit of pumpkin. She is more solid today but has a bit of bright red blood in her stool.

Would this be because her stomach is upset or it could be something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: blood in stool

Bright red usually indicates it came from closer to the end of the digestive tract. I usually run to tthe vet with this type of thing as I am a worrier.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I would call the Vet also...... at our shelter when they see blood in the stool it usually means "worms".

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If it was worms would she continue to have blood and diarrhea? Her stool is firming up and there is not any blood in her last movement.

Harlee has a very sensitive stomach, when i brought her home at 7 weeks we went through blood and diarrhea for almost 2 months (they ended up treating her with collitis). I am just not sure if this is her stomach acting up, I can't imagine its worms?

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

When Saska has this as a pup,(as she also has a very sensitive stomach) the vet thought it was Colitis, but it turned out to be gastroenteritis and she ended up on antibiotics, a friend of minds dog get colitis quite often, hope harlee feels better soon, Saska is sending him a kiss to get better soon. I personally would also go to the vet, I had to this morning as Saska was sick and it had traces of blood in it. I am a proper worry wort. My vet loves me all the money I spend there.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad
    Bright red usually indicates it came from closer to the end of the digestive tract. I usually run to tthe vet with this type of thing as I am a worrier.
    I would call your vet to be safe, but I remember from Mav's incidents bright red= little blood from near the end from the diarrahea from the day(s) before.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If she's been straining or passing lots of diarrhea, the bright red blood MAY be from irritated tissue near her anus. (As per my vet from when Soph had giardia. Vet said blood from further up the intestinal tract would be dark red or brownish.)

Ok well thanks everyone, going to wait and see how things are tomorrow.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope Harlee feels better soon.