I have a confession to make....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a confession to make....

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

DefaultI have a confession to make....

I am a very bad Dog Mom. Since I started nursing school, I have not been walking my dogs daily. Last year, I was working 36 hours per week plus in school four days per week, and when I wasn't at work or in school, spent my time reading the inhuman amount of assigned reading they pile on in NS. I had to quit search and rescue. Dogs got walked when I wasn't exhausted or completely stressed trying to know everything I needed to know for the next exam, which sadly, wasn't often. This year, I'm working less and school is the same, so I should be able to take the time the dogs need to get their daily exercise, right? I just haven't gotten back into the habit yet. Lucky is okay with it, the old timer that he is, but Lucy is driving me up the wall with her pent up energy. And I know it's all my fault, not hers.

Starting tomorrow, instead of waking up and hitting the books as soon as I've wiped the goop from my eyes, I am going to walk the dogs first. Then hit the books.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I have a confession to make....

Don't beat yourself up. At least you are aware of it and making an effort. Many don't.
    I am sure if you asked some us to be honest we would say we don't walk our dogs daily.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day. But your dogs are loved & they know it. I think they adjust to situations quite well. I remember when you started nursing school. It will all be worth it for you when you finish.
    Hang in there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinnamon is rarely walked...no place really good to do it. But we have a good sized back yard ad someone plays fetch with her 3 or 4 times a day. She swims daily for 15 or 20 minutes and we take her to the dog park that is 3 miles away 4 or 5 times per week for an hour of walking or playing with the other dogs. Plus Cierra comes over and they run and play almost every day.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Don't beat yourself up, nursing school is a huge endeavor and you get through the best you can! Your pup loves you no matter what, just remember the belly rubs and the games of fetch!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I don't walk my dogs daily. Aly is the only one who even remotely enjoys walking on a leash. Tatum and Jacob would much rather romp with us in the backyard for a hour than walk around the block. No matter how many times we try, Tatum hates being outside our fenced in yard and will attach herself to the side of our leg and shake with her tail down the entire walk. Jacob consistently gets so overwhelmed with stimuli that he can't enjoy himself at all. He turns into a foaming, frothy mess of wild beast. So, we spend a lot of time chasing and romping in the yard, and Aly gets occasional walks by herself.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

LJ, don't beat yourself up -- you've got a huge amount on your plate.

BUT, if you can schedule a bit of exercise, walking, maybe it would be good for all of you?

Or, what about putting in 15 minutes for all of you when you can use a break from studying?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Okay, I'll stop beating myself up. About that, anyway. I can find plenty else to beat myself up over! ;D ;D Just fed them, so I'm waiting about a half hour before walking.....it's a beautiful sunny day!

Hi Bob!

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Ah, yes, a tired dog is a good dog. Except for Lucy. She's never tired. We walked to the dog park about a mile from here. They ran and ran! And on the way back, I made a little discovery. It's a little meadow behind a gate tucked behind some houses. I think it's cemetery property that is not being used. Looks like a great place to toss a ball for the dogs...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I find it's easiest if you can get into a strict routine. I'm also in university and working, so I kinda know how you feel.

My two get walked twice a day, everyday. If they didn't I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get any work done, as they'd be pestering me nonstop!!

Every morning I wake up and walk the dogs. How early depends on what I have to do/where I have to be that day. There are days when I need to be at work for 7 am, so I walk the dogs @ 5. I just adjust as needed. Every evening before supper they get walked again.

It's all in the routine to make it work.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast