Smart labs stories....tell some of yours!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart labs stories....tell some of yours!

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultSmart labs stories....tell some of yours!

I was thinking today how smart Molly is. It always amazes me when they do something that really makes me think....they think & understand. Maybe it's just a conditioning thing...but here is what happened today.

My neighbor ALWAYS comes to my house with her lab. Rebel is Molly's good friend. Abby was out hunting today so it was just me & Molly. Sherri stopped to have me look at her leg...she thought she might have a spider bite.

Anyway...Molly was acting like an idiot!! : Running upstairs to the front window & then downstairs in the family room whining at the french doors. We talked for a little bit & then she left. Molly started whining again to go out. I let her out & she is sniffing the chair on the deck where Sherrie was sitting. Then she goes to the fence & stares at the road. Like they are coming back. Now since Sherrie adopted another dog, she has on two occasions brought one of them down first & then went back for the other. If I even say "Rebel" Molly gets all excited. She also gets that way when I say 'Sherrie." Do you think she was waiting for Rebel to come?
    Oh & when Abby is home..if I say Rebel is coming"...she looks at me like I have two heads...nothing. She has never played with him enough I guess. :

I just was wondering what she thought. She seemed to be looking for Rebel.
    Googball. It took almost 45 minutes & me saying "Rebel is home...he's not coming" before she would settle down.

Okay.....talking to my dog like she understands!! Do you do that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Smart labs stories....tell some of yours!

Cure story Georgie. Poor Molly was waiting for her best friend. I talk to mine.

Here is my smart Lab story.

Ernie likes to get the bread from the top of the fence I leave for the birds. He spend ages trying. One day a friend and I heard a noise and looked out the window to see Ernie pushing a plastic garden chair to the fence thinking he could stand on it.

This is my favourite Kassa one.
    I enjoy a soak in a bubble bath and as I have epilepsy can't when no one is in the house. I taught Kassa to pull the plug out of the bath when the timer went.
    One day I wanted to stay in there longer. Kassa was determined to pull the plug. I kept my foot on the plug. She got into the bath so she could do her job properly.

This is Ernie putting a table in the pool so he could stand on it to get in. fuzzed it taking to shutterfly.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Chris I was just waiting for you to tell the Ernie story... I laugh when I think of it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

That is one of my favorite Ernie stories too - with the pool. I always think of him when I put our pool up. I never heard that one about Kassa before, that is hysterical too!

Okay, here's my Jordan one. I had friends involved in Search and Rescue and taught Jordan how to find things as well. She could find the step kid in the park if we made him go hide. Anyways, one day we went for a walk, about a week after I got engaged. I left the walk with my ring, but came home without it.

Panicking, I walked the street frantically looking for it when it hit me. I told Jordie to sniff and find it and she did. It was in the driveway.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Cute stories. I do think these labs are super smart.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    That is one of my favorite Ernie stories too - with the pool. I always think of him when I put our pool up. I never heard that one about Kassa before, that is hysterical too!

Okay, here's my Jordan one. I had friends involved in Search and Rescue and taught Jordan how to find things as well. She could find the step kid in the park if we made him go hide. Anyways, one day we went for a walk, about a week after I got engaged. I left the walk with my ring, but came home without it.

Panicking, I walked the street frantically looking for it when it hit me. I told Jordie to sniff and find it and she did. It was in the driveway.
    That is awesome!!! We get Marlan to find stuff too. I think it's really amazing that they know what you want them to get, and they get it!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I talk to Sammi all the time, I know its weird :! Somehow she knows the differance between the days I work and don't work! If I'm going to work she will wait at her bed for her kong, if I'm off and heading out the door she knows she gets to go so she waits at the door! I would say maybe its the clothes but I wear scrubs at work so I pretty much wear the same thing everyday at home! Hummm, o.k she is just super smart

Great stories! ;D

My smart Murray story happened when we were in the crowded waiting room at the vet's. Murray was laying at my feet and he watched as someone ate a piece of candy or something, walked over to the trash can, stepped on the lever which opened the lid, threw the trash in. No sooner had they sat back down then Murray walked over to the trash can, stepped on the lever opening the lid, and stuck his head in to grab what he could. : I was stunned to say the least.

Great stories!

One of my favorites: Tucker was about 6 mos. old. I'd play 'find it', hiding something, then having him find it. He was in the huge field beside our yard (2-3 acre field). He came out, having something in his mouth. I asked him to drop it, and he gently put it down....a tiny baby bunny. He hadn't hurt it at all. I wondered how in the world I would find the nest to return the bunny, then a thought occurred to me...would Tucker make the connection I wanted? I held the bunny to his nose, letting him sniff it, and told him to find it. He took off running into the field, me following, and went right to the nest, so I could put the bunny back where it belonged. I was pretty impressed, and proud that day!

He also does as georgie's Molly does. When daughter, soninlaw, and granddog Molly (white boxer) are coming, I tell him....."Molly's coming!" He gets all excited, jumps up on his chair to watch out the window for 'em, then runs to the door...and even whines at times....waiting for them. ;D

Love all the stories Just are just Smart dogs I talk to my girls all the time.

Here is my Bear's story:
    A couple years back we (hubby, Bear and me) to my hometown and my husband stayed in a hotel and Bear and I stayed at my aunts. I dropped my husband and went my aunts, for some reason Bear kept on crying and wanting to go to the car all night. I thought at first she just needed to pee but as she went to the car I figured she was not happy sleeping out of home without her daddy : We left the next day, but it was way too sweet for me seeing how much she cares.

She has also gotten upset if we are all walking together in the park or the woods and one person separates from the group (even if it is just my sister and me), Bear keeps on running back and forth between the 2 people making sure none goes missing.

I dont have any Smart stories about Bunny, most have to do with her mischief.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast