Too cold for lab?

Thread: Too cold for lab?

DefaultToo cold for lab?

Ok, I think this is ridiculous. But my house is pretty cold, it his the 40s some nights inside the house. (I don't have heat right now). And my wife keeps asking if its too cold for Tucker and maybe we should put a heater next to his crate.
    I tell her she is ridiculous and that labs are cold weather dogs, and that some people leave their dogs outside all winter long. 40* is nothing for him he probably likes it.

I'm right aren't I? We don't have to worry about Tucker freezing at night do we?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Too cold for lab?

I'm not sure at what temp is considered too cold for labs. I do know,however, mine will plop right in front of the pellet stove whenever they get a chance. ;D

Sometimes when camping in the fall months the girls make a nest between Lor and myself for heat. I'm curious to know what is too cold.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Being cold is fine, but he does need something to snuggle with to keep warm. Having just a bare crate floor in the winter may not be so good. My boys will snuggle next to me on the couch, and put their feet underneath me when they are cold. Just like humans. LOL.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I called my vet, they said as long as its temporary they aren't concerned with 40* for a week.

Oh, it's just temporary? Where does he sleep any other time?

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    Oh, it's just temporary? Where does he sleep any other time?
    Yeah it better be just temporary. Because I am remodeling my mudroom I had to drain the system and remove my radiators. So my house has no heat. It will be done by Tuesday... Or 1. My wife will kill me 2. My pipes will freeze.

Gotcha. ;D Good luck with that.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The dogs will do fine. They have their live fur coat and know how to curl up in a ball and keep themselves warm.

Okay, I don't support this. I don't think family pets or hunting dogs should be treated this way, but it may alieviate your concern.

Neighbor's Lab lives outside, 24/7, in Minnesota. (Winter lows overnight in January can go as low as -25F without windchill.) Does not miss opportunity to be out in her pen any day of the year, any time of the day, to howl at the train whistle when it goes by. Including the day time, this happens every two hours around the clock. Neighbor lines doghouse with insulation, and put a heavy rubber flap (kind of like old inner tube rubber) over the opening to maintain heat for the dog. Dog rips out insulation, and rips off flap. Seems to be perfectly happy. I have seen her laying outside her house when the temps are around 0-10F above.

Like I said, my dog would never be left out like that, but it demonstrates that you don't need to worry about 40F in the house.

40C might be a problem, and not just for the dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

I love it when they curl up tight to stay warm. He will be fine!

If he's in a wire crate, you could drape an old blanket/comforter over all but the front to hold in heat and make it more den like but otherwise, he'll be fine.