Question I have been forgetting to ask
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question I have been forgetting to ask

Tater Tot Guest

DefaultQuestion I have been forgetting to ask

Cody and I were talking the other night about the places Tater lays down and sleeps. With Cody home he has notice more of the places.

He always sleeps with a wall to his back and faces out. He doesnt lean up against the wall, but if there is a corner he can lay in he will. Cody says its because he is a guard dog and he doesnt want to miss anything nor have anyone walk up on him and not know it.

Is this true? I think its funny. We think he sleeps on Codys side of the floor because he can see the bedroom door from there. If he slept on my side he wouldnt see anyone walking in. This morning he heard the lady next door walking her dog and boy did he let us know someone was in the backyard. Such a good guard dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question I have been forgetting to ask

I wondered about that too. I am not sure if this is true or not....maybe it's an old wives tale, but someone told us, in the wild...one of the pack always looks out for danger. Facing away from the rest of the pack.

Our last lab did this. She would sleep at the foot of the bed, facing the door. Always in the same spot. Some nights we would hear a low growl if she heard some noise. Now she was no guard dog, she would just lick someone to death if they came in, but it was wierd how she did that.

Molly does this now, sleeps facing the door. Abby could care less, she wants to be at the top of the bed, on my pillow. :

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

No expert, but I have read that animals (dogs included) in the wild will rest in a place where they can protect the side they can't see. Against a fallen tree, the opening to a cave, backs to each other when in a pack, etc.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tater Tot Guest

Well maybe today I will do some research and see what I can find.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo konks out wherever. Guard dog indeed. :

He tends to go for comfort now that it's cold outside. So he's usually either on his bed or on the couch. In the summer he would only ever lay on the kitchen/hall floor because it is tiled and cool. But again, spread seven ways to sunday. ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Tucker is our "gaurd dog". He sleeps on the top of couch where he can look out both the front door and the side sliding door.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Do you have any tables or such that Tater lies under? As mentioned some dogs like to have the protection of an artifical 'den' so to speak. Some dogs will often go under tables and such or of course some love their crates. Makes them feel safe I believe.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Baloo konks out wherever. Guard dog indeed. :

He tends to go for comfort now that it's cold outside. So he's usually either on his bed or on the couch. In the summer he would only ever lay on the kitchen/hall floor because it is tiled and cool. But again, spread seven ways to sunday. ;D
    Labs as guard dogs, my opinion.

Lab is awake, (HK). She will sound the alarm that an intruder is coming, she is very good at this. Delivery guy, or squirrel on deck.
    Note: Alarm is to "Get over here and open the door. I want to play with the intruder."

Lab is asleep, (HK). I suspect she is much better at guarding us in this condition. Since she is such a dark brown, the probability of an intruder stepping on her in the dark is quite high. I suspect the intruder will get a reflex action bite in the leg if he steps on HK.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Lab is asleep, (HK). I suspect she is much better at guarding us in this condition. Since she is such a dark brown, the probability of an intruder stepping on her in the dark is quite high. I suspect the intruder will get a reflex action bite in the leg if he steps on HK.
    Baloo would be like, "Hey..... dude stepped on me....... that must mean PLAY!!" and he would run and grab a toy to offer this charming and fun individual that has just graced our house with his presence.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I prefer the term "watch dog" as it seems to be more fitting. Very few dogs are actually guard dogs. Kody is definitely a watch dog and like many have already said, he will alert us to anything happening that is out of the ordinary. I sleep well knowing that he is at my side with those keen ears, eyes and nose ready to alert us to anything shady.

Protecting ones back is a survival instinct in most species, humans and canines included. It is taught in most self defense instruction to keep your back to a wall or other object as you can't see an assailant coming behind you. Sounds like Tater is the watch dog in your pack and takes his job seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast