My turn - Opinions needed - please (UPDATED)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My turn - Opinions needed - please (UPDATED)

DefaultMy turn - Opinions needed - please (UPDATED)

(UPDATE AT BOTTOM)

I'm the alpha in the family. I am the one devoted to Rocket - feed him, walk him, take him places, sleeps with me, does everything he can with me.

My husband and I sleep in separate rooms - mainly due to his extreme snoring which keeps me up and makes us fight, etc. But, marriage is bad anyway, and three nights ago my SU went "crazy". Screaming, throwing things. He went off his depression/anxiety meds 1.5 yrs ago - that's another story. Fortunately he saw the dr day before yesterday and is now back on them. BUT, Rocket was so scared to see SU that way, and he ran and hid. I didn't yell at SU - I don't. Actually, I grew calmer.
    Anyway, Rocket was very shaken up.

This afternoon, SU got home and found a poop pile on the floor in his bedroom, and a second one on the bed under a pillow. I thought it might have been the cat (who was also hiding that night), but SU is convinced it was Rocket's. Rocket's been avoiding SU since that night.

I'm avoiding going into detail about my marriage predicament - don't concern yourself with that. SU isn't dangerous, just crazy. Except when he was on his meds, he hasn't had a grip on stress since I've been married to him. (too bad I didn't know that before we got married)

Anyway, at first I thought the poop on the floor was simply because Rocket could not hold it another minute and needed to go. He doesn't associate SU's room as his "home" since he rarely goes in there. But then the second poop was discovered, and appeared to have been hidden. You gotta wonder. I do.

Oh yeah- is 16mo old, has not gone in the house since he was housetrained, and hasn't stayed in his kennel during the day since he was about 4-5 mo old. He's always been a perfect dog.

Opinions please.
    And please throw in some advice, too.

------------------------------------
    UPDATE

Thanks so much everyone!

I addressed the issue with SU when I got home and was amazed with his response. SU actually said he shouldn't have been treated this way because HE is the "alpha male". This is the guy who has done next to nothing for Rocket. He NEVER walks Rocket, he walks past empty dog and cat bowls everyday - I do 100% of the feeding. He never likes to have Rocket with him when he goes outside, even just to check the mail. He never wants to let Rocket ride with him anywhere, even to the corner. So, Rocket doesn't identify with him as anything more than a pack-mate. Certainly not as the alpha.
    Yet, my SU thinks that he will automatically be respected that way by default.
    (FYI -my 7yo son doesn't even treat him like the alpha. ahem.)

I explained to SU that he should make it a point to walk Rocket "occasionally", and to fill his bowl "occasionally", and to let him walk out to pick up the morning paper "occasionally". Response was "NO".
    I know the big part of the problem is that Rocket will see something, want to run after it, and not come back to SU when called. He comes back to me when called - no problems.

Anyway, I was informed yesterday by SU that if Rocket ever "pulls a stunt like that again", he will be hauled to the shelter without my permission.

SU is an idiot. And yes, I am one of those women who fall in the category where I would take my dog over my husband, which tells you everything you need to know about my marriage.

Thanks so much for hearing me yesterday, and to JL for the opportunity to vent.

Oh, and when I told my boss and my friend who is the manager of our animal shelter, they both laughed at what Rocket did. I felt way better hearing them laugh. They reminded me that Rocket loves me.

(ZoeZoe - thanks! you're so sweet!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: My turn - Opinions needed - please

I'm so sorry you're going through this. (((((HUGS)))))

It is very understandable that Rocket would have been shaken up from the argument/fight/throwing things etc. I (and I am by no means an expert, just speculating) would hazard a guess that Rocket's poops in your SU's room are not to spite your SU, nor anger him, but probably because he (Rocket) was/is so stressed out from the whole situation, probably had to go, and went. :-\

Again, I'm sorry you're going through this...

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Agree with Felicia.. and to add, if there is no way to improve the situation, I would consider giving rocket some rescue remedy or get one of the comfort zone DAP diffusers - something to relax him a bit.

Sorry for this situation

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

sorry about your situation, but i agree with the others above. rocket pooped out of stress and fear. i've met a couple of fearful dogs in my life, and that's what dogs do when they are afraid. it's not a housetraining problem. they lose their bowel and or bladder control. it's not the dog's fault, even if he tried to hide the mess.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

thanks, y'all
    I was really thinking it has to do with that, and not with b/b issues. I thought something like that would have happened sooner, before three days later.

SU has done a great job of alienating himself from me, our son, and now the dog.

We'll get through it. I just feel sorry for all the little guys in my house.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Lose the SU. Seriously, life is much to short to deal with this kind of stress.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    no kidding. wish i was in a position to make it on my own. life was sooo much easier when it was my kids, my dog and cat, and me.....

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sorry about your situation. I agree with the others. Rocket was just probably afraid & could not "hold it" any longer. If he sleeps in another room....he may have gone in SU's bedroom because he doesn't associate that room as "his place."

I hope things get better for you. Life is way too short to be unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by mich
    Quote Originally Posted by raian
    no kidding. wish i was in a position to make it on my own. life was sooo much easier when it was my kids, my dog and cat, and me.....
    Agree with the others about it being stress related and not a housetraining issue. Hopefully, it was a one time deal. I don't have much confidence in the DAP diffusers. I tried them with my cocker spaniel and had no luck...I think he just needs a lot of reassurance right now from you. AND, if it's any help...I'm now having to make it on my own...it's not easy, but it sure beats walking on egg shells and stress every day. It's just me and the furkids now and life is a whole lot simpler. PM me any time if you need to talk!

DefaultRe: My turn - Opinions needed - please UPDATE

bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast