Does your dog like wearing a collar?...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your dog like wearing a collar?...

DefaultDoes your dog like wearing a collar?...

I know some don't always use collars, but in general do they like wearing it?

I can tell Pete loves wearing his. If I take it off he sniffs it and is very concerned where it is going. When I bring it back out he will immediatly sit down as if it's a treat or something. He even tries to help put it back on, as in he'll stick his neck out and wait. Then he prances around all proud. It's cool.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Does your dog like wearing a collar?...

Lula doesn't seem to mind one way or the other. Although she does like to get some good neck scratchins from me when it comes off.

Oh yes, that's the main reason I take it off from time to time. Have to get a good neck scratch in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't know if he likes it. I take off his collar and he flips out and goes crazy. He tries like a mad man to eat it, any time he hears the tags jingle he goes nuts.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure that mine have an opinion. They don't wear a collar in the house, but ALWAYS have one on outside. The routine is always the same. I announce we are going outside, and they all sit by the back door and wait. I put on their collars, tell them to wait while I open the door, and then release them. It is true that if I hold a collar near one of their heads, they will assist me in putting in on them by trying to get their head through the hole (they are martingale collars). That might just be an element of being happy to go outside, rather than excitement over the collar itself.

When they are done outside, I call them in, and they sit by the back door while I take their collars off. Then I release the dogs and they don't seem to be sad to have the collar taken off.

Does Pete only wear his collar at certain times (like going outside), or does he wear it most of the time?
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by allprolab
    ...I can tell Pete loves wearing his. If I take it off he sniffs it and is very concerned where it is going. When I bring it back out he will immediatly sit down as if it's a treat or something. He even tries to help put it back on, as in he'll stick his neck out and wait. Then he prances around all proud. It's cool.
    Yep- that's Caleb. Well, he hasn't learned "Get dressed", but he does get concerned when his collar comes off (which isn't very often- just to change tags or when I buy him a new one). Mick was the same way. One of the tricks I taught him was "Get dressed"- I'd hold a collar/harness/costume up, and he'd put his head through it.

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

Guinness absolutely loves his collar. We take it off at night right before bedtime. In the morning we come downstairs for breakfast and in his first free moment he runs back upstairs, retrieves his collar from my bedroom, and brings it right to me with his butt wiggling a mile a minute...he must have his bling!! ;D

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Same thing with Mambo. If I take it off he looks worried and start freaking out. It seems like once its off he is happy as can be. He always takes off after trying to rescue the collar. When I go to put it on, he acts like he is getting a treat. He will back up to me, sit down and lean back..lol

Pete wears his collar all the time. I honestly never thought of taking it off other then some neck lovins. He actually wears a normal collar and a choke collar at the same time. No reason for that other then he acts like he loves wearing them.

Retrieving a collar, now that is awesome.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Mine fairly rarely wear a collar, come to think of it. On a "normal" day they wouldn't really wear one at all. I leave nothing at all on their bodies in the house ('cept fur.... ) for safety/comfort reasons. And when we go for walks they both wear harnesses.

The only time they wear collars is if we are going out somewhere, like the dog park, or taking Baloo to obedience, going to visit somewhere, etc. I think they get excited when the collars come out because they know they're going out somewhere.

Note: They are both microchipped as well. That way I don't have to worry about them needing their collars for identification purposes.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast