Just Labradors banner

Hail Call to Gulfcoast ... Today's Hunt

2K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  wiscpayton 
#1 ·
In as much as you recently commented on our new Full Body Mallard dekes we are using this season, thought I'd share a couple new pics taken this morning.

This is around the west side of "Carol's blind" looking north in a shallow flooded area. The water is a little deeper right now than would accomodate the short factory decoy stake so I made and taped on 12" extensions that allow me to create the appearance of only a few inches of water where there's really around 15" now.

About 7:30 this morning I was able to turn a high pair of Gadwalls, got them to circle 4 times before they finally made the fatal mistake of cupping over my decoys and was lucky enough to get them both.

Remi was in my blind 100 yards from Carol. Cappy was with her. I called Carol on the Talk-About and told her to release Cappy first (who had watched the shooting and falls), and shortly before he got to my blind I release Remi ... the race was on!

Didn't have to give any lines or do any handling, two birds on the water and two retrieves.

They each got their bird and headed back to the blind for more action.

Unfortuunately, the only additional action this morning was taking their pictures.

See less See more
#5 ·
Great pics! Those full bodies look killer for that shallow running water. We mostly hunt in timber, so we really cant use them. I wonder if I screwed some down to a log with a portable drill if the ducks would dig it..... ;D

#6 ·
Beautiful blue sky, great property, two awesome dogs, lovely wife who enjoys the sport as much as you do....what more could you ask for, Jim.

(and to be able to hunt on your OWN property)

love the pic w/you, Cappy & Remi.

#18 ·
jzgrlduff said:
So Jim, in that first pic they're all fake? Some look so real!
Fake? You mean not real ducks? Oh no, not at all. They are a real but a very special variety of waterfowl that we raise here on the property. I'm not sure what the common name is, their proper Latin name is "Duckamus Foolamus" and we get them together for a training and group photo just before the waterfowl season begins ...

Then, before they are flight conditioned and taught to swim, we tie an 8 foot line and a lead weight on their bottoms.

Then we take them to the ponds to make sure that they really can swim/fly convincingly ...

Modern science! Isn't it truly amazing? ::) ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.