Weight for labs?want to compare what vet said- Updated with 1 picture @ bottom
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight for labs?want to compare what vet said- Updated with 1 picture @ bottom

DefaultWeight for labs?want to compare what vet said- Updated with 1 picture @ bottom

Ok so I took my lab mix to the vet today for her shots and while I was there I asked about Sydney's weight and when to cut back her food. Sydney's birthday is January 1 so she is just over 10 months old. She weighed 63lbs on our scale the other day. Vet looked up her weight record and said you can double their weight at 4 months old and find their adult weight. She was 32 at 4month so he said she is about at her full grown weight and told me to cut back her food from 4 cups a day to 3 cups a day to maintain her.

Does this sound right to everyone? Is this a good way to tell her adult weight?

Jenny

Edited: I could only get this picture for now, I wll try to get one from the top later

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Weight for labs?want to compare what vet said

It's hard to predict the ultimate adult weight for even a pure bred Lab but Sydney's weight seems about right for a 10 month old. How much you feed really depends on the quality of the food. Duke, a couch potato, maintains well on just two cups a day.

See we have never tried to maintain her weight since she is a puppy still. LOL. So I am not sure how or when to start maintaining her weight or cutting back her food, that is why I asked the vet. He didnt' see her today and tell me this, I asked so he looked up her weight records and told me she was about full size.

So do you think I should start trying to maintain her weight or just wait it out? I don't want her to get overweight obviously.

Jenny

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK is 7 days younger than yours. She weighed 63 lbs yesterday at the vets, and I am told she is still a bit 'tubby'. We reduced her food to 3/4 cup, twice a day about three weeks ago. That resulted in a 1 pound drop in weight so far.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I don't think you can really tell by poundage (there is quite a range in lab weight). I would think for him to accurately tell you about her weight he would have to see her (didn't you say he didn't see her, only looked up the records?). I'm sure someone will jump in with the way to tell by looking at the dog, there are even threads where people post pictures of the correct way the dog should look from top.

Jonah weighed 31 pounds at over 4 months, but he was too thin according to our vet. Not by the poundage, but by the way he looked. So again, I think you need to look at the dog, not the weight.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I have never heard that method of predicting adult weight before, but that weight sounds about right for her age. Of course this is all relative to the overall structure of the dog. Some labs have an overall larger frame and will accordingly weight more. I think your best bet is to try and take a step back once in a while and really look at her objectively (this is harder than it sounds ). Look for the tucked tummy, and the hour glass figure with a defined waist from above. You should be able to feel the ribs, but not easily see them. Sometimes these things are much easier to see with photos.

I was guilty of allowing Kody to become a bit overweight in late puppy hood which was partially due to an under active thyroid. I believe this led to some of his joint problems today. Today he is at his ideal weight (according to his vet) and is much more active and happy because of it. Good for you for being concerned and aware of this.

We reduced Lula's food at about 9 months old from 4.5 cups to 3.5 (gradually) at the vets request. After her spay she started getting a bit heavy. She wasn't what you would call overweight, but the vet wanted to head it off at the pass. She was at 75lbs then and now at 11.5 months she's at 82lbs and her weight looks perfect.

I know she weighs more than some of the posted weights, but she has always been a big girl. 23lbs at 9 weeks. She was in the 40-50 lb range at 4 months. The vet estimated that her full grown weight would be around 90lbs and it looks like she'll be close to that.

What is she mixed with? A lab/beagle is going to weigh less than a lab/sheperd 4 cups is a LOT of food for your average female dog, what are you feeding? My girls are 1.5 and 2.5 yrs and eat 2.5-3 cups a day...they've been on that amount since around the age of your girl.

Nicole, actually Sydney is a pure bred lab that is why I say the vet didn't see her cause I was in with my other dog a lab mix. She is eating Chicken Soup adult. Iam going to gradually put her down to 3 cups of food and watch her weight to see if she maintains her weight for now. I may decide to take her in and see what they tell me about her weight after looking at her. My BIL told me she looked kinda skinny the middle of September and I have not changed her food intake so I wasn't sure what she should weigh.

Jenny

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArichMykal
    Nicole, actually Sydney is a pure breed lab that is why I say the vet didn't see her cause I was in with my other dog a lab mix. She is eating Chicken Soup adult. I am going to gradually put her down to 3 cups of food and watch her weight to see if she maintains her weight for now. I may decide to take her in and see what they tell me about her weight after looking at her. My BIL told me she looked kinda skinny the middle of September and I have not changed her food intake so I wasn't sure what she should weigh.

Jenny
    I would think 4 cups a day of Chicken Soup would be a too much, at about that age we cut Elias' food down to about 2 cups a day. Elias has weighed 69 lbs since he was 9 months old and he's now 3. I would probably start cutting her back slowly and just see how she does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast