I do not know how the people involved in rescue do it.

Thread: I do not know how the people involved in rescue do it.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultI do not know how the people involved in rescue do it.

I'm going to give a labby a ride to a foster home this weekend. I can not take one in to foster because my landlord might kill me. They are having troulbe finding foster homes for labbies on death row. I want to save them all and I understand that you can't but ,I can not get used to it. One who really needs a home has a tongue like Angus. I'm over here going OMG he looks like Angus or that one looks lie this lab. This sucks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I do not know how the people involved in rescue do it.

it does not suck

it is wonderful you are helping out

I have said it so often folks who know me will groan but:

If everybody did what they could do (no matter how big or small) the world would be a much better place

I am so very grateful to my friends and family who step up and let me get away occasionally - or reduce the numbers in my house for even just a few nights - they can't take on full time fosters but they help me more then they'll ever know

rescues do it because they can; because they see a need that has to be filled and they are able to make a difference
    they do it because they get something for it - often just the grin on a dogs face or a gentle kiss

thanks for doing what you can
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I couldn't do it on a full time basis....I would get way too attached and so heartbroken for the one's you can't help.

I transport usually twice a month usually from kill shelters to fosters and I tear up everytime...

Thanks for helping out....if we all did a little it will help...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I love to help anyway I can. I just say it sucks because I want to do more and I want to save them all. I know reality plays a part but my heart does not seem to get it.

2muchfun is offline Member

I have fostered now for about a year and a half and sometimes I bawl like a baby when they go to a new home. Feelings of joy that they have a new forever home accompanied by feelings of sadness...sadness for me, not them.

I don't think I could ever do the actual intake part though. Some of the things that people say and do...the reason's they give for getting rid of their dogs just makes me ill. I am disgusted and shocked that some people can be so uncaring. I cannot go the to the shelter and I rarely look at the rescue pages anymore. If I can't help those dogs I can't bear to think about it and like you, I can't get used to it.

I look at fostering as the "easy part" of rescue. When I get an update and know that they are happy, healthy and loved...that is my reward. I get to be involved in the happy ending (or beginning). I agree with the other posters...we all do what we can and thank GOD for those people that do what we can't.
    Jill, mom to Dakota (black lab) and Bandit (yellow lab) and Jack - GSD mix.

Foster mom for the Las Vegas Valley Humane Society.

What you guys do is truly amazing and wonderful.

My workout gym is next door to a Pet ER. Sometimes I sit outside and wait for my husband to pick me up and I am amazed at how many people I see bringing in their pets to ER. It is so sad to watch. I couldn't do that job either. What they do is amazing. I have seen the doctors just locking the doors to go home after a long day and someone come roaring up with their beloved pet who needs help and the doctor open back up. What also amazes me about pets at an ER is that you will see the entire family there with the pet. Just like any family member. The mom, dad and all the kids are usually there. I love that we all love our pets.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I love the people who can, but I couldnt ether. Simply for the fact I would keep all of them. My husband would kill me but dogs just melt my heart!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

You already ARE involved in rescue, every bit helps. And thank you for doing it.

I know exactly where you are coming from, though. I wanted to foster, but have only done so once on very short-term (Chamois doesn't count, we adopted her almost immediately). When we return to the states I will do more, I hope. When we were there, I did some transport and some fund-raising, but never the really difficult parts. (BTW, our temp foster has found a home, yay!) But some of it - the going to the shelters, the intake - is still a bit beyond me right now and I don't know if I'll ever really have the emotional ability to do it. It is completely heart-breaking, and I wish I could do more to save more (or all) of them. But remember that for the ones who can and do get out of shelters and into forever homes, their worlds have changed forever and for the better. We all do what we can. It's never enough, but anything is better than nothing.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]