Possibly a new member, but a question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly a new member, but a question

JeffG is offline Senior Member

DefaultPossibly a new member, but a question

We were looking into rescuing/adopting...but unfortunately we're out of the service areas of the lab rescues of DFW and the lab rescue of N Texas doesn't have very many dogs and none we are interested in. We just happened to find a great breeder who has 2 females from a litter that haven't sold. I've checked her out and she seems to be responsible and reputable. However, the two girls were born on 7/31. So, they would be 14 and 1/2 weeks old by the time we picked her up.

Is this just a big waste of getting a puppy? I mean...if we're gonna get a puppy...shouldn't we have it from 8 weeks to see ALL of the puppyness? The breeder said its totally up to us, but...they are already kind of house trained. I just don't know!

Has anyone here ever gotten a puppy at that late of an age? Thanks!

BTW, heres the gorgeous girl we're looking at ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Possibly a new member, but a question

Well, my girl beagle (Meggie) was 12 weeks old when we brought her home. P-L-E-N-T-Y of puppy to deal with still!

Granted, you won't necessarily have that roly-poly brand new puppy but you'll still have a baby. My labs were still puppy-puppy at about that age. Just a bit larger puppy-puppy.

Seamus and Flynn

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh I'd snap her up in a heartbeat!
    (Pic wasn't there for my first post)

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Pitch was 14 wks old when we adopted him. We were a bit alarmed that he wasn't adopted out along with 2 other puppies from his litter. From what we gather, he was going to be kept by her, but she elected to take a female instead. For us there were benefits of him staying with the breeder. The breeder owns a boarding kennel and they do training on their site. So when we got Pitch, he had already had some training into him, they had him in swimming already. What was nice is to go back and continue training with them, and he still remembers them like it was yesterday. He still has a lot of puppy in him. I don't see it as a problem. Good luck in your decision, and looking forward to meeting your newest member when the time comes.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I'd take her in a second, too! And almost housebroken means a little less work for you, all the better! By being with her sibling and mother this long she will have learned good things, too.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Nothing to add about the age, however just wanted to say she is adorable. Maybe the only real good things would be should would be able to keep up with a bigger lab right away. Best of luck on whatever you do.

AWWW...look at that face! ;D

I see nothing wrong with getting a puppy a little later especially if they have been trained/socialized during that time. I guess it's an individual choice. Puppies are cute but they are a ton of work, especially those first few weeks. Personally I wouldn't miss being woke up every 3 hrs during the night. I don't think 14 1/2 weeks is all that different from 8 weeks. She is still very young. I mean you are talking about 6 weeks, 1.5 months. Really, it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things when you think about it.

I got Essy from the breeder when she was 14 months old. I know I don't have time for a puppy so getting her at 14 mths (and Murray at 2 yr old) worked perfectly for us. Essy was leash trained, potty trained, had some basic obedience, etc so she was a steal IMO.

I say go for it.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Brodie was 12 weeks and was the last of his litter. Sometimes I wonder why, but I like to think he was meant to be my dog. He will be 9 this weekend and the best little guy I could have asked for, and I had plenty of puppyhood to deal with in him. Just ask my favorite pair of boots may they RIP.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Are you kidding!! I would snap that sweetheart up in a minute!!! You're getting all the puppy and less of the not-so-fun puppy stuff!!!

Good luck with your decision. She is a heartbreaker though. LOOK at that face!!!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for all the advice!! Yeah I knew in the grand scheme of things...6 weeks isn't that much of a difference...but..you know...all that puppy breath doesn't last for too long! But that IS 6 less week so needle teeth and probably 10-30 less accidents to clean up!

Some more pics!

Not quite "Endereske" but a good effort!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast