Nylabone Edibles??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nylabone Edibles??

Kathryn Guest

DefaultNylabone Edibles??

How many of you give them?? I dont like the idea of them at all.. I was given some (unopened) for the girls.. I know they were gotten at petco because thats the only place you can get them here.
    I don't know what to do with them.. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nylabone Edibles??

I wouldn't use them. I don't want to risk obstructions. If I were you I'd chuck 'em.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I have one Nyla bone that is not edible. she loves it and I check it regularly. The ones that are edible I have looked at and there is no way I would give those to my dogs. I just can't see how they can come apart in a safe way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

maybe let them chew on them for a little time each day supervised? or hold the bone in your closed fist and let them chew it...i've sat on the sofa with ginger and held her nylabone (durable) as she chewed on it. i think she would like me to hold it all the time for her...she doesn't have to worry about it moving around.
    ginger hasn't tried the edible kind.

Kathryn Guest

We HAD real nylabones till Joe ate all ten of them : . So his mommy got these and brough them over when she came to pick him up today.
    Im thinking I will try and go to petco and see if they will let me exchange them for the regular nylabones...

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't buy them because the one time I tried them my girls had it almost gone in about 5 minutes & I had to retrieve a large piece from Molly's mouth. I worry about choking & an onstruction. I do use the regular Nylabones, the one made in the USA. I check them for sharp edges regularly but so far, no large pieces have come off. Once they get some sharp edges, I pitch them & buy new ones.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I think I am missing something here. I have given Pitch the edibles before, aren't they the flavored like Carrots and such? He loves them, and they eat them like a biscuit. Am I thinking of the wrong thing?

-Shannon

Kathryn Guest

Momofalab they are the same thing i think as what u are talking about.

I opened a package just to see what they were like. I said to myself if I can break it in half I would not give it to them. Well I was able to break it in half. I did let them try it till I heard CRUNCH and Maggie broke hers in half.. SO I took them away and they are in the trash... :-\

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

They work great with puppies, before they can get the strength to snap them into large chunks...anything that can be swallowed in hard chunks like that is a huge risk for an intestinal blockage. I found the same thing with any of the softer Nylabones- the "gummabone" types.

The only Nylabones that I allow my dogs to have, which they don't get large chunks off of, include the big Nylabone Durables including the Galileo bone.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

momofalab is offline Senior Member

ok, still confused, if it is edible, why is it so bad? Maybe I am having a blonde moment......isn't the whole purpose of an edible bone for them to eat it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast