Speaking of Halloween costumes.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Halloween costumes.......

joflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpeaking of Halloween costumes.......

I know the opinion of this board is split regarding dressing up dogs. Some think it's silly or even mildly torturous to do this to the dogs, but I look at it as a test of training also. Some dogs would never sit that long in costume for their picture to be taken. I feel it takes an obedient dog to do this. I have people ask me at work, "how do you get them to stay still long enough to take a picture? my dog would never do that" . My response is "I just tell them to. They pretty much do what I say" Some good quality treats help! My husband asked me if I felt that was a compliment, and I feel that it is. I've brought my dogs to work with me also, and they are so good. My boss tells me I can bring them anytime, because they listen and are no trouble here. Just wondered what you all thought. BTW, my husband is one that thinks I torture them, making them wear that silly stuff. It's only for five minutes, though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Speaking of Halloween costumes.......

our trainer/behaviorist told us, "an obedient dog will do whatever you ask it to do"

I dress Zoe up, I make her balance stuff on her head...she seems well adjusted.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I assumed they all loved it. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I like picking on you guys putting costumes on your dogs. But I look at each one of them, and chuckle or think 'How cute' to most of them. It is still fun to accuse you of torturing your dogs with the costumes, but know that none of us would inentionallyharm our dogs in any way. We don' all do the same things. It makes this all interesting and varied. Same for the hunters, the show folks, the agility crowd, the rally enthusiast, the breeders, anyone I left out, and even those like me - the lowly owner of a family friend and confidant.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Pete will do anything I tell him to. But dressing him up and making him stay put is easy. If I put anything on him he just freezes. I mean he won't move.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wesley would probably do it for me (wear a costume), but he'd never forgive me.

Thanks guys! I know I'm not really torturing them. We actually have a blast, seeing how far they'll let me push them. We laugh a lot and after we're done, I love them all up and give them treats and they're happy. Willy really didn't like that long hair though, he drug it all over the yard and tore it up when I was done. We usually don't let him do that, but it was really funny!

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

dressing up dogs is silly, but that's why i do it. ;D
    being dressed isn't as comfortable as being be naked, but my dogs take it all in stride, too. besides, they get a lot of attention and treats for being cooperative.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake
    I know the opinion of this board is split regarding dressing up dogs. Some think it's silly or even mildly torturous to do this to the dogs, but I look at it as a test of training also. Some dogs would never sit that long in costume for their picture to be taken. I feel it takes an obedient dog to do this. I have people ask me at work, "how do you get them to stay still long enough to take a picture? my dog would never do that" . My response is "I just tell them to. They pretty much do what I say" Some good quality treats help! My husband asked me if I felt that was a compliment, and I feel that it is. I've brought my dogs to work with me also, and they are so good. My boss tells me I can bring them anytime, because they listen and are no trouble here. Just wondered what you all thought. BTW, my husband is one that thinks I torture them, making them wear that silly stuff. It's only for five minutes, though.
    Your comments about your co-workers and boss are why its always interesting to me to notice what people accept as tolerable behavior from their dogs. What is barely tolerable, right at the brink of a "come to Jesus meeting" behavior for me or you could be a breath of fresh air for lots of folks I see. I cannot tell you how many times I have had Ellie Mae out in public and been about to correct her for some imagined infraction of doggie conduct, just to have someone say "Oh my gosh, I wish my dog would act like that...." ;D
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

I know what you mean. I work with a girl who got a JRT last year. It cannot be let off a leash in her own back yard. It runs away. She asks me how I get mine to stay in the yard. I just want to say, Duh! Train it! It just takes a little time, and if you don't have the time, you shouldn't have gotten the puppy. I believe you can train a dog to do anything you want it to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast