Looking to adopt
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to adopt

Joey is offline Senior Member

DefaultLooking to adopt

Hi all,

finally joined after a year of being a guest here. I found this site while I was doing research and looking for a good breeder and have learned so much it's amazing! We have decided for many reasons that an older dog, 1-2 years, would be best for our family and I am in the process now of finding the right dog for us. I have contacted some places including the LRRO and a few breeders and am still waiting to hear back from them, but I was hoping with such a huge network of people who love labs, that someone here might have some other ideas or places for me to check out. We live close to London in Ontario and any contacts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Johanne.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Looking to adopt

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Look on petfinder.com... I listed a couple in your intro post.

If you do go the pound route and this is your first dog, you may want to ask a local trainer to come along and evaluate your 'possibles' - a good trainer will be able to assess a dog and may see body language etc that the novice might miss.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Here's a few on Petfinder in London and surrounding area for ya:

http://search.petfinder.com/search/s...p=London%2C+ON

Also, Dani on our board had a few labs, I'm not 100% sure how she goes about adopting out of the US but here's the site: http://www.cmlrn.com/
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well Johanne, welcome! You started with the right place, the LRRO...and they may take a little while getting back to you...but don't get discouraged. I guess how we could help here is to find out what kind of lifestyle you lead, what your expectations are and really what your color and sex preference is. And then, perhaps we could help point out some dogs for you to take a look at.

Good luck with your search.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good Luck with your search.

Joey is offline Senior Member

I figured it could take a while to hear back from them since it is run by volunteers and I don't mind waiting at all. I have a husband and two boys, 6 and 3 and I am a stay at home mom. Both my husband and I grew up with dogs, I had a golden, and have just been waiting for the right time to add a dog to our family. We finally bought our first house last summer and we wanted our kids to be a little older, so here we are. We are a pretty active family and one of the reasons I wanted an older dog was to be able to go out for walks and things right away. I don't drive yet, so I am a big time walker. I would love a dog that has energy, but I know I'm not ready to have an extremely active dog. I don't really have preference on sex, I do prefer the yellows or blacks, but the temperment and personality are by far more important. We have no other pets, but would hopefully like to add a second lab somewhere done the road.

Thanks for the links to the petfinder website, that is a great idea about bringing a trainer to evaluate the dogs, but that would be something else I need help finding. I have found a few, but don't know if they are good or not. I have contacted a vet that has been recommened by many people so at least we have that ready.

If you need more specifics, just ask away. Thanks

Congrats on deciding to adopt and good luck finding the right addition to your family.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Just did a quick search - I know NOTHING about this trainer, BUT she is a labrador breeder as well:

http://www.stonearckennels.ca/index.html

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

good luck with your search and please keep us updated if you find what you are looking for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast