Warning off-topic * think I've discovered why there is such a feral cat problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning off-topic * think I've discovered why there is such a feral cat problem.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWarning off-topic * think I've discovered why there is such a feral cat problem.

After spending $321 on shots, plus Revolution, plus tape worm shots for Little cat, the little stranger that showed up at the back door about 4 months ago, we got a quote of $331 dollars for the supposedly cheap spay and $589 for the expensive spay.

Umm. Hello it doesn't take a rocket scientist. Who can afford that? In Hamilton-not a thriving city. Yes. I love my dog and spent $400 to get a hystiocytoma taken off and will spend what it takes to keep her safe all year, but come on $900 for a cat? That's crazy. Needless to say we'll be checking out the much lower cost vet we were told about out in Simcoe. It may be a long drive, but I'm sure it won't cost us $130 dollars to drive there and back.

I thought $90 was a lot to have my bunny neutered.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Warning off-topic * think I've discovered why there is such a feral cat problem.

Amazing - I think I posted this before but the price difference btwn vets here in Ottawa for a spay/neuter and those in Hull/Gatineau is shocking. I know of several people who drive over the bridge to "the dark side" ;D to have it done. We're talking price differences of $100, $200 here. Crazy.

(I am referring to Quebec as "the dark side" as a joke - my co-workers, who live over there, call it that! Thought I better clarify in case there are any Quebec residents on this site, don't want this thread to go up in flames!!!.....)

Bev.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Warning off-topic * think I've discovered why there is such a feral cat problem.

Canine Spay! 30 mile radius. My vet close to $700. Petsmarts vet (whatever they are called) $500. A vet recommended to us, $850. Twenty miles to the east side of St Paul, we are west of Mpls, $240. Our vet lowered her price to $550 and we went that way, but come on $240-$850. There is something I don't know going on. The prices at each place were all inclusive.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I know!! It's ludicrous to try to stop the feral cat population at those prices!! One of the girls I work with had 3 on her property, 1 male and 2 females - of course the females had kittens, and pretty close together. She took in all of them, and called her vet to get them all fixed. She explained they weren't her cats, etc and the number she had to bring in, and the best they could do was give her $50 off!! INSANE!! (she's in Kleinburg too)

I live in Guelph and price shop. I may not have the *best* vet, but at least I don't have to remortgage my home. And actually, I do have the best vet in our clinic, so there!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I've always said that vets have a licence to print money, i know we all accept that to keep pets and be a responsible owner you have to take on their medical care, but over here too, veterinary bills are astronomical.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

That's CRAZY!! It only cost $75 to have Mocha Fixed at 14 months old. I know the county my parents are in (southern Indiana) have a low cost program that it's only like $20 for cats... I know there is a low cost program through the Humane society here that is only like $40 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    That's CRAZY!! It only cost $75 to have Mocha Fixed at 14 months old. I know the county my parents are in (southern Indiana) have a low cost program that it's only like $20 for cats... I know there is a low cost program through the Humane society here that is only like $40 I think.
    Hmm. With dollar being what it is and Indiana not being too crazy far away (wait southern Indiana might be a stretch) it's tempting. (Just kidding). Baloo gave me a good name that I will try if I ever get home in time. Plus the vet in Simcoe. My Mom's friend got her barn cats fixed there. She didn't want to do all the shots and stuff but she didn't want 20 million barn cats. She said they were quite reasonable.

I just thought to calculate that our vet the one we took Little cat to charges $65 per visit. We saw her for 15 minutes if that, so that works out to $260/ hour, now I know it doesn't quite work like that but still, I don't make $26 bucks an hour.

We ordered the knock off wormer from 1-800PetMeds to deworm the other cats. At $27 it's too big a saving to pass up. As long as customs doesn't add $38 bucks to the order it will still be much cheaper than the vets.

Here in California if I call the Humane Society or a place called Feline Network and tell them I have a feral cat they will spay/nueter it for $40.00 or give me a certificate for my vet. I have done this many times. My vet has done them for free. She has a mobile clinic and during certain times of the year (maybe mating season) she will offer very low cost or free for litters. She is awesome.

Nice. The SPCA in BC (British Columbia) also has a vet hospital where they were rumoured to be quite reasonable. I didn't have a dog or cat in need of fixing when I lived there. It's weird to me that they don't offer something like that here. Wow. $52 for a spay for a cat. I so live in the wrong province.

http://www.spca.bc.ca/vancouver/hospital.asp#SpayNeuter

Here in California if I call the Humane Society or a place called Feline Network and tell them I have a feral cat they will spay/nueter it for $40.00 or give me a certificate for my vet. I have done this many times. My vet has done them for free.
    Pretty much works the same here in NC. We have a spay/neuter clinic here. I don't recall the price, but it's under $100. I chose to take Lula to our vet over the clinic because it's very crowded and kind of an assembly line.

BTW, we only paid $350 for Lula's spay (done with laser) at our vet's office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast