Do you know how to release your dog from a trap?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to release your dog from a trap?

gundog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you know how to release your dog from a trap?

Just a reminder, it’s that time of the year when trappers will be out doing their thing.

Make yourself aware of the several kinds of traps you might run across and more importantly how to spring your dog free.

If your dog is caught with a conibear trap…..you had better run…..and get it off because you have a very short time until it is killed. You can NOT release a conibear trap with your bare hands. (Although it is simple with two small pieces of rope or string)

In most states it’s illegal to set one on dry land. …..but of course like all groups of folks I’m sure there are some trappers who do not follow the rules.

I strongly suggest you become familiar with how one works…….and try it…..learn how to do it. Your dogs life may depend on it.

Here is a link to directions on how to spring one.

http://www.gundogdoc.com/library/trap_release.pdf

Here is what happened to a guy this weekend

My PP got caught in a conibear trap on Thursday. Luckily, it was the smaller 220 rather than the large 330 so it did not kill her. We were in ND near a PLOTS land and stopped to let the dogs out to do their business before hitting the property. The dogs had been in the box for ten hours and smelled pheasants so were off in the tules smelling around. All of a sudden I hear my dog screaming bloody murder so I started running to where I heard her. What I first thought was that a coyote or coon had her. As I began to see her I saw her back half with her head down and thought something was trying to pull her in a hole. Once I saw her head I thought she'd just got her head stuck in an old ball of barbed wire fence but I then saw that the wire was attached to the ground. Once I got up to her I realized what it was having seen the diagrams here (and my old retired hunting buddy is a trapper). It was snapped around her face and part was around the base of her skull. I grabbed the springs and started squeezing to alleviate the pressure but I wasn't able to get her head out by that alone. My buddy got there a few seconds after me and I had him grab one spring that I was holding (he had no idea what this thing was) I held the other one and worked her head out of it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her after she shook her head a few times.

As my buddy said, she's a scavenger and it just about did her in. Had this been the larger trap I'd have never saved her. I had no string on me and was wearing shoes without shoelaces as was my buddy. I was spooked and we skipped that field (the trap was on adjacent unposted private land). As we kept driving I started thinking more and realized that I have bolt cutters in my truck and it was about 80 yards away. I doubt my buddy could have made it to the truck and back in time to save her. Even if I had string I don't know that I could have gotten it off her in time. Even though the trap setting tool is about 15" long I might start carrying one around (they're less than $10).

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you know how to release your dog from a trap?

Wow, great advice. Thanks for posting.

Laura

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

thanks for the info. Something we need to think about since we spend time exploring the woods with our dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

That's something you do have to be aware of...... last year in a neighboring town a womans GSD got caught in a trap. He caught his leg...... the woman was in her 70;s and was trying to get her dog out.... the dog bit her several times before the ACO arrived and he also had a hell of a time getting the dog free. They had to wrap the leash around the dogs muzzle to keep him from biting but they did manage to get him free. He went to the vets and was released with some stitches. I think the poor woman came out of the ordeal worse off than the dog.

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

patm is offline Senior Member

Several years ago we on Thanksgiving day we were walking on the back of my parents farm with the grandkids and the my parents dog , a keeshond. She was wading in the creek , up to her belly in water. Suddenly she started screaming and yelping. We rushed down to her , into the muddy, cold creek and realized that she had gotten trapped in a muskrat trap (they are fastened underwater and designed to drown the muskrat). Luckily, she wasn't in any immedieate danger, but I'm sure it hurt like heck. Because we didn't know how to release the trap, and we couldn't see it under the water, we sent my nephew , who was about 6 at the time to run home (1/2 mile) and get my Dad. He took off across a newly plowed field (not the smartest thing to do - very, very rough ground, but he thought he would save time from using the lane) Meanwhile, my parents are actually started back the lane in the truck to join us. By the time they got to us my sister had managed to release the trap. Mitzi tore out of the creek, jumped into the truck and was very ready to go home. She never even limped from it. But it was scary and could have been much worse with another type of trap.

My neighbor is an animal trapper and told us how to get stuff out of traps, but it has never happened

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Sadly, yep, we know. We almost lost a cat to a trap a few years back. Luckily (?) my grandpa had been a trapper and had taken me on a few trips and I knew what to do, otherwise, it would have been horrible.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

joflake is offline Senior Member

It is also deer season here in Pennsylvania and we live adjacent to state game lands so I am so paranoid about Libby being mistaken for a small deer. She is very tall and in the dim light of morning or dusk, accidents could happen. I bought her a flourescent orange vest that she wears from now until January when hunting season is over. We tell her to come here and put her dress on before she goes outside. She gets all excited and wiggles across the room!

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Great post, thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by joflake
    It is also deer season here in Pennsylvania and we live adjacent to state game lands so I am so paranoid about Libby being mistaken for a small deer. She is very tall and in the dim light of morning or dusk, accidents could happen. I bought her a flourescent orange vest that she wears from now until January when hunting season is over. We tell her to come here and put her dress on before she goes outside. She gets all excited and wiggles across the room!
    Good for you joflake. You really can't be too careful. Unfortunately not all hunters follow the rules of firearm safety. One of which is to positively identify your target and what is beyond it. I would much rather go home empty handed (and often do) than shoot someones beloved pet, or worse a person, in haste.

joflake is offline Senior Member

The first week of buck season, I actually take them both out on leashes first thing in the morning. It is still dark the first time they go out and I just don't trust anybody, not to shoot first and ask questions later. I won't take that chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast