heloing dogs cope with moving to a new house

Thread: heloing dogs cope with moving to a new house

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultheloing dogs cope with moving to a new house

Any suggestions on how to help two dogs cope with moving to a new house.

With all the boxes and stuff around upside down the dogs seem to be unhappy and mad.

To top it off, my younger lab hurt her knee this morning chasing two skirrels and she is at the vet with a possible cruciate tear. Check out the health section on my post there.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: heloing dogs cope with moving to a new house

Oh no, sorry to hear about your pup's knee.

Henry has moved with me 4 times in the past 4 years. Each time I "cold-turkey"ed him, ie. he went to daycare in the morning from the old house, and came home in the evening to the new house. He never had the chance to go sniff out the new house before we moved in. I don't know if this would help anyway, as your things wouldn't be there yet or anything?

He was clingy for the first little while until he realized that this was home (at least for the next little while! LOL!). As long as they have their humans nearby, and familiar furniture/belongings, it really doesn't take long for them to get used to the new place.

Good luck with your move!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: heloing dogs cope with moving to a new house

As I learned last summer, they really don't care as long as they are with you. I moved from Tennessee to Kansas with Tal 9my Lab) and Midnight (my cat). They did much better than I had hoped for. It took Midnight a little longer, and fortunately I was home with them alot after the move.

Try to maintain as much the same routine as possible. They love structure and routine. I kept Tal's as close to usual as I could.

Good luck and I am sure they will do great!