What did you all learn in a Intermediate/CGC obedience class?

Thread: What did you all learn in a Intermediate/CGC obedience class?

DefaultWhat did you all learn in a Intermediate/CGC obedience class?

Since we passed beginners this is the next class for us to take at our training club. Well I went to the class last night and I am pretty sure we are going to be bored the entire 8 weeks. I don't know if it because we were spoiled with our instuctor in beginners who taught us circle right/left, u turns, about turns, pivots, finishes, fronts , full ring recalls, along with the regular beginners stuff. We had to heel nicely, do a 1 min sit/stay and 3min down/stay to pass the class.

Now I went to this class last night and she said obviously the first 2 weeks will be boring as she gets a feel for where the dogs are, but she will be teaching us what we need to pass the CGC at the end of the 8 weeks. I was so bored last night it wasn't funny and looking at the handout we got as what is expected to pass the CGC we could do everything but the supervised seperation now and she can't teach supervised seperation in class it is something we have to work on at home. We were only aloud to do 6ft on lead recalls last night to and we did off lead full ring recalls in beginners. We only did 15sec downs and sits. According to the training club we have to pass this class in order to go to advanced so I am kinda stuck.

So my question to you all is this typical of a Intermediate class or am I just bored?

How do I get Sydney who is 10m next week to stop whining when I am not right next to her?

Thanks.

Jenny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What did you all learn in a Intermediate/CGC obedience class?

I think the beginners class covered a lot. Our intermediate class/CGC was more of a refresher beginers class + we worked on more manners things than obedience. We did the supervised seperation in class the instructor would keep the dog and we would leave the room. Mocha failed this miserably ??? One thing that did help was to put her in a down stay while she was doing it even though it's not necessary for the test. She focused on the stay some and not on me being gone. I think it's something you have to work up to but it takes someone else to help which for me made it more difficult since she didn't do it with SU. If you have someone who will help you maybe try giving them some treats and just walk out of the room and back at first and try to work your way up. If she starts to whine maybe have them give her a sit and a treat to get her to focus on them. Just an idea.

We also worked on greating a friendly stranger where they would stay sitting and let the instructor pet them (Mocha's not great with this either), we did walking in a crowd where everyone would walk around and other dogs from other classes and other people would mingle in the ring. We did the recall which was shorter as you said but any practice there is good.

It may not be a ton of new stuff but try to make the most of it and perfect the stuff you have already learned.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I continue to go to these classes. It tends to motivate me to continue to work with HK. Next week we start our 4th sequence. I undersatnd your frustration, especially for the first week or two of the next class. If you have a new instructor, he/she is going to use the first class or two to assess the dogs and handlers. Pure frustration for the more advanced in the group. If you have your previous trainer, but new dogs in the group, same thing. It would be great if a group of dogs could continue through with a specific trainer and not have to waste a week or two educating the trainer. I will continue to go though. For the motivational purposes for myself if nothing else. HK and I were the leaders of the pack last sequence, except for the second half of the fourth night when HK decided to lay down and bark for a hlaf hour while refusing to respond to any command to do anything. She knows 'Speak' (bark) and 'No Speak' (stop barking or whining) but refused to do anything other than lay there and bark.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Our intermed classes expand on the CONTROL gained in the beginer class. We start things that students will face in Rally/Obed competition, if they want to go that route. And even if they don't, we find the exercises help in refining control and a solid handler/dog partnership.

By the end of the intermed, we're hoping that the dogs can move to advance/open, where they begin to work off-leash.

I'd talk to the instructor. Look at the syllabus for Advanced and see if you can skip ahead, especially if you're bored.

I think all classes are valuable for the distraction training if nothing else. With that said, if you really feel you have nothing to gain from this class, see if they will let you test out of it. It never hurts to ask.

As far as my understanding you cannot just test out of a class, so we will stick it out. I will use to for distraction if nothing else and maybe I will be suprised. I think it is the trainer maybe more than the class but I know you don't always get great trainers so we shall see. In the mean time I will try and work on our supervised seperation at home and hopefully keep her from whining when we walk away.

Thanks everyone.

Jenny