Uncomfortable day at the local dog park today

Thread: Uncomfortable day at the local dog park today

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultUncomfortable day at the local dog park today

Being that I tend to promote dog parks, today was not such a great day.

Only a few dogs there today. One guy with two Heinz 57, a 3 year old and a 5 month old. The 3 year old was trying to hump anything in sight and getting rather aggressive about it. I stepped in to pull him off HK and try to settle the offender. The owner comes over and says it is just a harmless dominance thing. I tell him, nicely, that he should probably work on the behaviour if he is bringing the dog to the park. He says the only thing he knows to do is to neuter him and he doesn't believe in that. I ask if the pup was sired by the 3 year old, and it was. I suggest that allowing mixed breeds to continue to breed was not the best idea and maybe neutering would be a good idea. I then tell him that the park rules posted at the entrance, state dogs must be neutered or spayed. He knew that but he still doesn't believe in neutering. I then tell him that if he is not going to address the behavior and the dog mounts HK one more time, I would follow him to his car and report him thru his license number. He leashed his dogs and left. Two others thanked me for saying something.

Then a woman showed up with a Lab leashed and wearing a muzzle. Uh! Oh! The other three owners and myself each caught it immediately and started herding our dogs. The woman came over to us and said she would be taking her dog over by the far corner and her dog should not bother any of ours if we keep them at a distance and she went off to the far corner. The dogs of course are interested and off lead. We all start throwing balls or sticks, anything we can find to keep our dogs in a different part of the field. After a while, I get uncomfortable feeling I have to watch not only my own, but also keep an eye on all the dogs including the one leashed and muzzled. I decide to go ask the woman if her dog is really a threat. It has been staying with her without pulling, tail up and wagging. She tells me that she can not trust her, and it is just best if they are off by themselves. I ask if the threat is to the dogs or also the people. She says both. I am at a loss for what to say and begin to leave. I stopped and turned to her, and said, 'I don't know how to say this nicely. This is an off leash dog park where we let the dogs run free. If you have to keep your dog muzzled and leashed, we really can't do that but you can wak your dog anywhere if you are keeping her leashed. It is just an uncomfortable situation. Have you worked with any trainers to correct the behavior?' She told me that she was working on it, but felt she had a right to use the public park also because it was so pretty and a nice area to walk. That she tried to come when no one else was here, but that was getting harder all the time. I didn't know what else to say and left. The others asked what happened, I told them. None of us really knew what to do. We kind of felt sorry for her and the dog and didn''t want to report anything. Maybe she won't be there whenever I go back.

Why am I feeling like the dog park policeman?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Uncomfortable day at the local dog park today

Ugh - how frustrating. The first guy - well, to be honest, I don't think you'd have a lot of a chance changing his mind. If he has decided he is "against" neutering (wha?) and is going to willingly break the dog-park rules stating that dogs must be neutered, he clearly has had time to think about his actions and made his decision anyway.

As for the lady - perhaps if you see her again you could explain to her about leash aggression? While she also knowingly broke the rules, the way you wrote about her made it sound like she was more at a loss for what to do than just a plain old jerk. Maybe if she knew the problems that having a dog on-leash in an off-leash park could cause, she would either not come or let her dog off leash? Then again, maybe I'm just being optimistic

Anyways - as someone who also enjoys dog parks, I'm sorry today was a bad day for you and HK.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The first guy was a jerk. End of that subject.

I actually felt sorrow for the woman. I think she wanted to let her dog run with the others, and I think she wanted to talk with the humans. She was just too afraid of her dogs behavior. I think that is why I didn't try to take a harder position with her. I felt sorry for her and her dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

That sucks Ed.

If it makes you feel better, there will always be idiots/jerks that go to dog parks. just a fact of life. BUT, I have found that the good people greatly outnumber them. You just happened to get two bad apples in one day. :-\

Good for you for saying something. Hopefully others will start to follow your example, and eventually you'll have a whole group of people willing to address bad apples, and you'll start getting less of them. That's kinda how it happened at our park.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!