What's so great about Poodles?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's so great about Poodles?

DefaultWhat's so great about Poodles?

I was reading the post about "Dog Fads" and got to thinking about how many of the designer dogs are "oodles". Labradoodle, Golden Doodle, schnoodle, cockapoo, etc. I don't mean to offend any Poodle fanciers out there, but I'm seriously wondering if there is a reason (temperament, coat, etc.) or do these designer breeders use poodles for the name? ??? :-\

BTW, where does the "D" in Golden Doodle come from. If it's a Golden Retriever and Poodle mix shouldn't it be called a Golden Retoodle. : ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What's so great about Poodles?

I thought I read somewhere that poodles are fairly smart dogs. Also are they not non shedders and thus those combinations are thought to be easier shed wise and allerghy wise?

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Well, all the Poodles I've met or owned have had really nice personalities. Hmm, maybe not all- the standard one we adopted when I was little ended up being aggressive. I know they're pretty smart, too. For me, the draw back is the coat- I'd rather deal with shedding than a coat that grows continually and needs combing & clipping.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think the original "designer breed" fad started with Labradoodles. The original idea behind breeding Labradoodles was to produce seeing eye dogs that were hypoallergenic - ie; they didn't shed and were therefore suitable for allergic owners. Unfortunately, what started off as crossing the two breeds for a legitimate cause caught on with backyard breeders and thus the "designer breed" fad was born.

Of course, we now know that breeding a Labrador to a Poodle does not necessarily equal non-shedding (hypoallergenic) puppies which totally defeats the original purpose of crossing the two breeds. I assume the odd's of producing hypoallergic Labradoodles improves with the generations, not that I am an advocate for intentional cross breeding of any sort.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I friend got her labradoodle, because she didnt want the problem of the shedding! Yet she has to spend 65.00 every couple of months to get him groomed -I can groom Sammi daily with her zoom groom and a ear cleaning once a week :-Cost, not much!! Her Doodle is very agressive and just sort of "pissy"- not sure if its the breeding or what, but he is also dumber then a rock! I know its mainly in the training, but she has taken this pup to 4 obedience classes and I have seen no change :!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I forgot to say that I think the name in itself sells. Breed anything to a Poodle, stick a Doodle on the end of the name and everyone wants one. I can't imagine for a minute that half of the people who buy 'Doodles' are interested in Poodles themselves. It's the attractiveness of owning a 'designer' dog that sells it for them.

patm is offline Senior Member

I think there have been poodle mixes since there have been poodles. People just used to realize that they are just mixed breed dogs and didn't pay tons of money for them.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There are others, but I believe cockapoos came long before Labadoodles. The doodle craze was primarily driven by the attempt to create non-shedding animals. For allergen reasons and housekeeping reasons. What many buyers in their lack of knowledge did not realize is that dogs that don't shed generally have hair, not fur, and it has to be cut. Also, that not all the crossed are non-shedding, Labradoodles being a prime example. Some do, some don't. Depends on how you catch the genes. I have a friend with one that literally has a lab back end and a poodle front end. Stange looking dog. She has to have the front end trimmed, and the back end sheds.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Wow, thanks you guys. I learned something today.

I grew up with miniature poodles. I'm partial to the standards; they are smart, have webbed feet, and are great hunters and swimmers. They do not have fur but hair like ours and do not shed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast