Has Anyone Read 'Merle's Door"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Read 'Merle's Door"?

DefaultHas Anyone Read 'Merle's Door"?

I just received a gift "Merle's Door". I haven't read it yet as I am just finishing another book. This is another dog story based in Wyoming. The reviews are mixed so I was wondering what JL'ers think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Has Anyone Read 'Merle's Door"?

Good question. I was tempted to buy it one day but something about it irked me. It was one of those "something doesn't seem right" type feelings. *shrug*

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I bought it, was really looking forward to reading it, really cant get passed the first few chapter. I think it has to do with the way its written, he talks for the dog, like in second person-like he knows exactly what the dog is thinking at any given moment! I don't know, if anyone has read the whole book please let me know if it gets better or if its worth getting passed the way its written!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am reading it now and love it! Am about half way through it.

KLM

I'm reading it now - or trying to. It's not exactly what I thought it would be. I'm having a hard time getting through it. I've tried really hard to be interested in all the science stuff he drones on and on (and on) about but just can't get into it. If I could take out all those pages and just read about Merle it would probably be pretty good.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I read it and I loved it. The fact that he thought he knew exactly what the dog was thinking didn't bother me at all. I actually had a dog that I had that kind of relationship with, and I'm sure people thought I was crazy too. I understand exactly where he is coming from on that score. What a blessing that kind of relationship with a dog is.

I thought it was a really thought provoking book. The fact that Merle was given so much freedom and was not forced to do anything was very interesting to me. It has, in fact, caused me to re-examine my own relationship with my dogs. I certainly can not give my dogs the freedom that Merle had, but I can be a little less overbearing, to be sure.

If you are open minded I think you will really enjoy the book, and will perhaps find some food for thought in it. If not, then you'll probably just think it is weird and over the top.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I started it, and I've reached a roadblock. Can't get past the 2nd chapter. I think I just lost interest..... I wasn't super impressed with the writing style.

He's no John Grogan. ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Merle's door actually causes you to "think"...it's not all "entertainment". As someone posted above, he includes a lot of science studies on the behaviors of dogs/wolves, etc. I find all of it interesting and am totally in love with Merle and his owner. I only wish I lived in a place where my dogs could have the same freedom as Merle. Oh and Merle has made it clear to his owner that "retrieving" is not for him even though he is part retriever.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme
    I read it and I loved it. The fact that he thought he knew exactly what the dog was thinking didn't bother me at all. I actually had a dog that I had that kind of relationship with, and I'm sure people thought I was crazy too. I understand exactly where he is coming from on that score. What a blessing that kind of relationship with a dog is.

I thought it was a really thought provoking book. The fact that Merle was given so much freedom and was not forced to do anything was very interesting to me. It has, in fact, caused me to re-examine my own relationship with my dogs. I certainly can not give my dogs the freedom that Merle had, but I can be a little less overbearing, to be sure.

If you are open minded I think you will really enjoy the book, and will perhaps find some food for thought in it. If not, then you'll probably just think it is weird and over the top.
    I tend to be pretty open minded when it comes to what I read, just can't get past his writing style! Trust me I really want to like this book- so I'll go back and give it another shot!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Am reading it now - have been since the summer. Sometimes I can't get past his ... arrogance? I guess at how he raises Merle. Yeah, I would love for Jake to come and go as he pleases, but in West Philly that aint gonna happen. Does that mean I have less or a relationship with my dog because I dictate what he can and cannot do? I don't think so, but I think the author would disagree.

I do like a lot of other parts of the book though, especially the science he includes. I think the writing style he was going for was something between Grogan and Dr. Patricia McConnell, but unfortunately he didn't really hit either - it's mediocre writing no doubt compred to the other books out there (For the Love of a Dog for instance) but interesting points he brings to the dog-owner table. It's certainly better than Dogs Never Lie About Love!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast