Dog Chews

Thread: Dog Chews

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Chews

What is a good chew that is edible, safe and will hold attention of a 6 month old pup? I know Im asking alot here! I have the pork twists but he doesnt seem to like them too much and when he actually takes it and gets a peice loose I take it off of him or I cut it off . LOL, mean I know but I dont actually want him to eat them, for choking, intestinal reasons.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Chews

Have you tried a Kong with him yet? Pitch loves his Kong, now!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I usually start giving them raw marrow bones at around 6 months of age.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I do use the kong but I put a few puppy kong treats in it and a little ( teaspoon ful) pb around the inside.
    What do you put in yours?
    Marrow bones? Like soup bones? Cant pieces of bone come off?

What do you think of the ones you can get a the pet stores? Like the Jumbones,Greeniesor the Nylabone edibles? No good?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Kong: HK loves them filled with yogurt (16 oz), PB (1 tbls), and a half bannana and frozen. Mix is for multiples. I also put this into 2-4 oz plastic cups and freeze them, doesn't last as long. Until they are full grown, substitute unsweetened applesauce to keep down the intake of too much calcium.

According to U of M vets, (understand that HK has dental issues), flexible nylabones, not rigid ones (tooth breakage)
    Relative to tooth breakage the following are on their no no list.
    Marrow bones
    Rigid Nylabones
    Bulley sticks

Mind you that HK loves all three which she is no longer getting and a lot of Labs do get them with no problems.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yes, marrow bones are also called soup bones. Can bits break of? they can, but unlike cooked or smoked bones, they won't splinter. I wouldn't ever feed cooked bones for that very reason. From my experience, marrow bones tend to remain mostly intact and they also last a long time. Several hours, usually.

If you decide to give marrow bones a try, build up gradually the amount of time she is allowed to chew on it. The marrow is very rich and may upset her stomach initially. Expect a loose poop or two afterwards. When their digestion learns to 'adapt' to the new food source they tolerate them much better. So on that note, I would start by letting her chew for 15 minutes or so. Then next time, let her chew for 30 minutes, then 40, 50, etc., until she has no ill effects (in terms of loose poops) from chewing on one.

I would avoid 'Jumbones'. The ingredients are poor quality and they are not real bones. Most dogs will be done eating a Jumbone in less than 5 minutes.