The guard dog decided to show up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The guard dog decided to show up

DefaultThe guard dog decided to show up

Clarence woke me up at 4:30 this morning. He was pacing around the landing at the top of the stairs, right outside our bedroom and growling a little. He'd pace a little, then come and sit next to the bed on my side, nose me, then go back to pacing. He did this for about 20 mins, then DH let him outside. He just sat on the patio, looking back and forth, totally spooked about something. Then back upstairs to pace, sit, nose and repeat. I finally let him up on the bed and he sat on top of me, with his ears perked, looking towards the bedroom door for the next 2 hours. He even stopped eating his breakfast (I thought hell had frozen over!) to look around and pace a little downstairs. We don't know what spooked him. I'm glad he's protecting us but we're going to be exhausted today!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The guard dog decided to show up

Good boy Clarence. Protect Mommy and daddy. I loved when Mambo started doing that, makes me feel very safe when Jerome is out of town.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

A mouse got in the house somewhere and he is trying to let you know that it has got to go.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What a good boy Clarence - you must care a lot about your mom & dad!
    Bailey's also started doing that lately if she hears something she comes & sits by you and listens very carefully (or goes to investigate)!!

Hmm. Good boy Clarence!!

My friend and I used to joke about the Labs seeing ghosts but then it occurred to us that they see and hear so much better than we do, so it was likely that they really were seeing/hearing something out there.

Billie growls real low and huffs when she hears something she doesn't like outside in the middle of the night. She sleeps outside our bedroom at the top of the stairs so an intruder would have to get past her first...and I doubt they'd want to try. ;D

I never ignore a warning alert. There is always something. One night Duke had just jumped up on the foot of bed and settled down as I was reading. Suddenly he went into a high alert mode softly growling while staring at my closet. I just knew some critter must be lurking until I sat up to see the toe of a dark sock sticking out from under the closet door.
    Trying not to laugh so as not to discourage his vigilance I got up and called him over so we could dispatch the intruder. After "killing" the sock I returned to bed but I think Duke kept one eye open all night staring at that closet door. Maybe he knew that killer socks lurked in pairs. ;D

Killer sock...hehehehe

Billie is kind of that way too. If something is out of place it gets an alarm. Blankets, furniture, shoes, dishes, clothes, etc.

I guess my "everything has a place" rule has worn off on my dog. It's handy sometimes though...if a door is open that shouldn't be I know she'll warn us.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I always trust a dogs instincts. They are rarely wrong, often false alarms, but rarely wrong. I can easily distinguish Kodys alert bark from his other barks and I always respond to it. If he is stand offish with a person I pay more attention to that person. They may just be fearful of dogs, or they may be up to no good.

When a stranger comes to the door he will bark but will stop when I tell him. A couple of years ago a rough looking man came to the door looking to sell home remodeling work. Kody refused to stop barking at the guy and the man was clearly fearful of him. I sent him on his way quickly. A couple of days later there were reports of several home robberies during the day in my neighborhood and I wonder if this guy was involved. It seemed very likely that he was casing houses.

Now for the scary story. We've had a problem this summer with our neighbor across the street who is of questionable character. He had been having a lot of undesirable people coming and going from his house at all hours of the day and night, even when he was not there. My neighbors daughter saw what she is sure was a drug deal occur in the guys driveway one day. I am sure several of the women were prostitutes and "working" out of this guys house. We are in a nice quiet middle class neighborhood and all of this was way out of the norm. Every time Kody saw these people in front of our house he would give his alert bark and I would keep an eye on them. He did not like these people one bit.

One night this neighbor came over to borrow something and Kody was in total watch dog mode. He stayed right by my side while the guy was on the front porch. Right in the middle of this guy talking Kody let out the meanest, deepest, most aggressive bark I had heard from him in a long time. The neighbor jumped back 2 feet and abruptly thanked me and left. I gave Kody a big biscuit and a lot of loving. Two days later 2 of the people that had been over there were shot and killed in an apartment complex nearby over drugs & money they owed someone. I spent that afternoon illuminating the detectives for the district attorneys office on what had been going on across the street for the last few months. Things have been very quiet since then thankfully and my wife and I feel much safer knowing Kody is on duty.

JeffG is offline Senior Member

Wow thats some story!

Ty has before come into the watchdog mentality. Once, when I was out washing the car...a man came and knocked on our door and told my wife he was there to pick up a vehicle. Of which we knew nothing about it. He acted like he was about to come in. He didn't have any professional clothes on or anything. Well Ty was going berserk, and eventually the guy just left. So I was very thankful for that.

One very odd thing (and kinda funny) thing happened one night. I got to be in the shoes of a stranger in case someone every approached my wife or Ty. I was coming in the back door one night but had a big load of stuff in my hands. I called my wife to come open the door but she never came, so I just barely got the door knob turned and the door cracked and I heard Ty on the other side. Initially he was sniffing and sounded excited...but when I just barely cracked the door he started a deep growl. I thought i'd play along and see what his reaction would be if some uninvited came in the house. So I sloooowly opened the door and I could see him backing up and started a deep alert bark. His hair was standing on end. I had alot of stuff in my hands and a hat on, so he still didn't recognize me. He back peddled into the living room where my wife was coming to see what was going on and he stood directly inbetween her and me with his hair on end and was just letting out this deep bark. When I set the stuff down and took my hat off I had the biggest wiggle worm running towards me, like "DAAAAAAD! Thats not funny!"

I too, was glad when Storm's protective side showed up. Though sometimes it can be annoying (as its often the ruthless bunnies and squirrels that she's barking at) - I'm relieved that she alerts us when anything is out of whack.

Funny Story: one night my husband was downstairs and thought it would be funny to sneak up the stairs and scare the beegeezus out of me while I was watching tv. He slowly crept up the stairs trying not to make a sound, but Storm came running out of the bedroom and barked her butt off and was growling at my DH. Not only did I thank Storm for "ruining" my hubby's plan - we felt really good knowing that Storm would scare off anyone trying to sneak into our home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast