did your breeder pick your pup?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: did your breeder pick your pup?

Defaultdid your breeder pick your pup?

Did your breeder pick your puppy for you? Was it a good idea or would you have liked to pick your puppy yourself? What are the pros and what are the cons?

For breeders who pick the puppy for the customer, at what age is the pup when you decided who got who?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2labcrew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: did your breeder pick your pup?

We picked our own boys. I would not have gone to a breeder who chose for me. I don't think it's a bad thing at all, but I just wanted to gravitate or have him gravitate to me. I am sure the breeders have good reasons behind choosing a puppy for a family.
    Miriam , Digger, and Kodi

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Our breeder investigated us almost as much as we did her. She picked our dog for us, knowing that we had small kids in the house, an unfenced yard, a SAHM who was pregnant, and a loving and energetic home. She picked a GREAT dog who fits our lifestyle hand-in-glove. I know I would not have been able to make as good a match as she, which is understandable because she knew that litter down to the every whisker.

Pups should be placed no earlier than 8 wks -- in fact, some state laws mandate 8 wks. A breeder who wants to evacuate them at 5 weeks is a MAJOR red flag.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Yes and no. She picked 3 out of the litter of 7 that she thought were right for us. But she didn't tell us. When we went to pick up Kody, we spent an hour with the puppies and decided on 2 that we thought were perfect. Then she told us which ones she picked. Our 2 were both in the 3 that she selected. She asked a lot of questions about us and our daily lives when we gave our deposit on the litter and then chose which puppies would most likely fit us. I believe she did this around 6 weeks of age. We chose Kody over the other puppy because he seemed just a little bit calmer. Kody was 7 weeks when we brought him home.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

When Elias' litter was 5 weeks old we went and visited them in the breeders home. We were first on the list for a black male out of the black and chocolate litter.
    There were 3 black males to choose from. We played with them all for a little and agreed on one. We went back and got him when he was 8 weeks old.

Kathryn Guest

Jacey came from a breeder
    her breeder helped me pick what would be best for my family. She had a good idea of what my family was like since I had talked to her for about a year and a half. She understood that I had a disabled mother living with me and a small child ,along with other dogs.
    I had my eye on 2 yellow females. Since I was never able to go down and see them she took LOTS and LOTS and LOOOOTS of video of the pups playing and moving around and such.. She asked me to give her a list of my top five I liked by looks and told me what she thought would work best for me and my family. I didnt know till 4 days before I went and got Jacey who she was. I did get my first choice pup!!
    Jacey came home @ 9 weeks because I couldnt make the trip to Denver the day she was there.. So we went to the breeders home that sat.
    If I had to do it over again I would let her pick the puppy for me again. Jacey is THE BEST DOG we have ever had..

No my breeder didn't pick my pup. We had the option to come out prior to picking out the pup to see which one we wanted. But they did tell me that personalities change drastically over weeks, and the quiet puppy at 5 weeks might not be the quiet one at 7 weeks. So I went and picked up and picked out our pup at 49 days. Well he picked us. I knew which one I wanted, he ended up latching on to my wife there was no changing her mind after that.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

The breeder made some recommendations and after a few little tests I chose one that they she agreed would be good for me.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

yes, because Lucy was the only pup not spoken for . The breeder decided to opt out of the couple who were planning on taking her. She felt that they weren't ready for a puppy and didn't feel comfortable with giving them a puppy. I happen to inquire about Labs in general and she had just told the couple no.
    In the future, I would like to trust a breeder to pick out a puppy for us based on our lifestyle, what we are looking for in another addition and what we plan to do with the dog. The only thing I would specify is sex.

Thanks everybody! I am OK with the breeder picking my pup. We have corresponded and I have been pretty specific what is important and unimportant to be as to color, sex, type & personality. I would just love to know which one is mine

The breeder makes the decision right before the puppies are 8 weeks old and ready to go. I think they are holding back from giving me too much info about all the pups for fear I might say, "I want that puppy", when they know it might not be the best one for me.

I will go with their judgement, but in my heart I would love to see photos of all the pups, find about all the pups personalities, and say "I want that puppy".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast