This Comment Burned the shiznit out of me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Comment Burned the shiznit out of me

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis Comment Burned the shiznit out of me

I was talking to an acquaintance (not really a friend) and she asked me what I fed Tal. I told her Pro Plan and she said she just fed hers Wal Mart's 'Ol Roy. Inside I was thinking...um what are you thinking lady! Anyway, she said that's on the pricy side? Yup I gues it is. But a 37.5 lb bag lasts about a month and a half. I was trying to be nice and said you may want to consider feeding a little higher quality food. Also pointed out that 'Ol Roy was involved in the pet food recall a few months ago.

The response? Aw, it's (he or she not an IT) just a dog and I can't see spending alot on food for a dog. Sorry, but in a nice way I let her have it. I said I considered Tal a family memeber and would never think of doing anything less than the best for him. Also said that I couldn't figure why people would get a dog and not care for him or her. She just kind of looked at me funny and then the conversation was over.

I hope she reconsiders how she views her dog. These "just a dog" folks really piss me off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This Comment Burned the shiznit out of me

Oh boy. That had to be hard to hear.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Well, she is "just a human" after all. Feed her Mr. Noodles and KD for the rest of her life. Wouldn't want to spend too much, you know. : :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

She is officially an "idjit"

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to say, but clueless asshats like that never change their way of viewing animals. > She's the type of person that should never have a pet.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Among pet owners, there is a whole range of attitudes from that of this person to that of the typical JL pet owner. Unfortunately, pet owners like that just don't get it and never will. They will never know what a precious gift they have in their pet.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Among pet owners, there is a whole range of attitudes from that of this person to that of the typical JL pet owner. Unfortunately, pet owners like that just don't get it and never will. They will never know what a precious gift they have in their pet.
    i agree. they are missing out. there can be so much more to dog ownership than simply owning a dog and keeping it alive.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

These "just a dog" folks really piss me off.
    Amen. My MIL is like this. She thinks we're crazy. : We think she's crazy. Can't understand why these people even want to get a dog. ???

georgie is offline Senior Member

I bet you were hot. But people who think "it's just a dog" really are missing out. I doubt that any of us here on the forum can change them. They will never understand how much more their dogs can enrich their lives.
    I am glad I know how much more you get from having a "family member" rather then "just a dog."

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I certainly agree with the comments from this woman about her feeding the 'just a dog' substandard cheap food. But I thinkk we need to be careful categorizing those that say, 'just a dog'.

Example: DW tends to say 'just a dog' quite often, but who
    (1) insisted I pick her up before bringing HK home from being spayed so she could be held and comforted on the way home.
    (2) slept on the floor hugging her when she was whining that night.
    (3) decided to steam carrots for her when she had surgery on her teeth when I told her she could only have soft foods for two weeks
    (4) went out and bought three new soft toys
    (5) tested dog beds for softness when we were going to get rid of the crate as her primary sleeping place
    (6) insisted on having the vets input before we decided which adult food to switch her over to
    (7) insists on going to every trip to Petco/Petsmart to help HK pick out treats and toys

yep! she says 'just a dog', but I think she is really saying 'just my well taken care of, loved, pampered, special dog'
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast