Spaying question

Thread: Spaying question

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpaying question

Hi Everyone,

I had made an appt for Harlee's spay for next month. I called the breeder because I had a few concerns about my vet and wanted to talk to him about the possibility of using his vet (different province) and he says "Karolyn you signed an agreement that says you cannot spay for 18 months". Now when he initially sent me this agreement it was for a male dog (i didnt get the male dog because of this and I didnt want to have marking/aggression issues). I guess I didn't look too closely when I signed the second time because I assumed it was the same agreement (not that there was one for male and one for female)

So he advised me to read the following article :
    http://www.doindogs.com/spay_neuter.shtml

What do you all think about waiting until she is 18mths? I do not have a choice because I cannot break the agreement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Spaying question

On the advice of my breeder ~ for the reasons cited in the article ~ I waited. Shelby went through one heat cycle before I had her spayed. I did not find it difficult to manage. What exactly are your concerns about waiting?

Well I read alot about cancer and also the possibility of aggression. The trainer I worked with said in her experience after they go through heat they can become very hormonal and can be dog aggresssive.

I really dont know, I have done some research and thought I would throw the question out there for more experienced ppl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn
    Well I read alot about cancer and also the possibility of aggression. The trainer I worked with said in her experience after they go through heat they can become very hormonal and can be dog aggresssive.

I really dont know, I have done some research and thought I would throw the question out there for more experienced ppl.
    I don't buy that. I did TONS of research on this and never read anything about girls being dog aggressive or hormonal, post season. In fact, based on what I read it doesn't even make sense. As I understand it, post season, a girl goes into anestrus (one of the four stages of the heat cycle). Anestrus is the time between heat cycles and it's when their hormones are at their lowest level, so it doesn't make sense to me that you could have a "very hormonal" dog after a heat cycle. I certainly haven't witnessed any changes in my own. Of course that's a sample of one . I hope someone with more experience steps up to answer.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn

I have a female who went through 2 heat cycles before I could get her spayed (immune suppression issues) and I'm kind of glad it worked out that way. And no, no aggression issues. I think there are a lot of "urban legends" that circulate regarding this stuff.

I think Labby Laura has a few good articles on her website that are pro-waiting.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree with your breeder.

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

Laura

THanks everyone

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Wasn't there an article in your "articles" section on the website, Laura? I looked but couldn't find it. :-[
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Ok, I am going to stray a bit into the future for those that will be facing one or two heat periods with their bitches before spaying. This is a 'tip' that was given to me by a Miniature Poodle/Irish Setter breeder/professional handler/co-owner of our Irish Setter bitch/mentor.

As soon as spotting begins, start giving the bitch 100% chlorophyll tablets, one AM and one PM or according to directions on the container and continuing until all signs of heat are gone (at least 3 weeks). There are a few brands available, some in tablet form and some in liquid form, that are sold "over the counter" for problematic odor control for people (colostomys and such). The chlorophyll will simply eliminate/mask? the bitch's pheromone (fertility scent signal) so that intact dogs at a distance (8 feet or so) will not know sentwise that she is in heat.

So, there will not be dogs from a mile around gathering about your yard - BUT, all precautions should be followed as the bitch will be normal in every way, will be willing to be bred and will be fertile.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09