Emergency Plans

Thread: Emergency Plans

DefaultEmergency Plans

What with the fires in California it has just strengthened the need for all us to have an emergency plan. My current employer "highly encourages" us to have a plan in place just in case there is any event that would require evacuation of our homes or incliment weather conditions. They have a computer module we can fill out for our use but I think Red Cross has one too. It covers things like contact phone numbers, medical information, plans for children, elderly family members, and pets, meeting places, etc. It got me thinking of the what ifs:
    What if I couldn't get home from work due for some reason? What would I do about my animals, family at home, food and medicine, etc. How could I reach my family and they me? What if they were stuck at home and couldn't leave - do we have food, water, medication, battery powered lights and batteries.....

My employer can "require" that we stay on the job if weather conditions or the like prevent the on-coming staff to get into work. I have in my car a spare set of scrubs, underwear, travel size soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I keep a second cell phone charger there too. I don't have children at home but have made arrangements with a neighbor for my dogs and have a backup plan that my kennel will pick up my dogs and take them there if need be. From what I have heard it hasn't happened often but one winter (five years ago) we had heavy snow and ice that prevented staff from coming in and staff from getting home. I've decided to be proactive and be prepared.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the fires in California.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Emergency Plans

They talked about this on GMA this morning

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MellodyHob...3766860&page=1

Plus I have this article saved

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/01/bu...ym&oref=slogin

Laura

Ditto on the thoughts and prayers to those in CA.

I think those plans are an excellent idea. I've been pushing and prodding my mom to have stores of water, food and other goods on hand since "Hurricane Elvis" knocked out the power for 2 weeks in Memphis a couple of years ago. They're also predicting a sizeable earthquake in the not-so-distant future. I want her to have an evac plan as well as a tornado shelter. She's working on it. Now that my step-dad is gone it's more critical than ever.

I'm working on getting my basement set up for tornado shelter and having enough stores on hand to deal with major emergencies. I am fortunate enough to live only a few miles from my boyfriend's family so if something were to happen we have a place to go. BF also works 2 miles from the house so if I couldn't get home he's right there at the house.

You have excellent ideas - ones that we should all think of. I currently have two lists on hand. A 30 minute evac list (things to take if I have 30 minutes to leave) and a 5 minute evac list. I also know where I'm going if I had to leave the KC metro area and how I'd get there, in each direction. I'm a little paranoid I guess.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    They talked about this on GMA this morning

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MellodyHob...3766860&page=1

Plus I have this article saved

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/01/bu...ym&oref=slogin
    Thanks for those Laura. There's some great ideas in there. I'm going to work on some of that stuff ASAP.

[quote=BillieIsMyKid ]

Those lists are important- I blew them off (as did most of my friends) until the morning we had to evacuate New Orleans for Katrina.