What do you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

DefaultWhat do you do?

We've had tons of rain the last few days and the dogs are protesting going outside in it. Even when it has stopped the ground is still wet and they do not want to go out. I know there are others on here with the same problem. What do you do? Do you make them go out or just them them wait until later? We're gone 9 hours during the day so I have been making them go out in the morning. It takes a while and I look like a fool but I don't want them to make a mess in the house orr have to hold it that long. Zeus is the worst but Mocha can be pretty bad about it too. They will go out on the deck but not down off the deck to potty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you do?

We have a gravel bathroom area on the one side of our house. Part of it is a covered kennel area from our previous dog. I've been know to carry her out to "under cover" so I can get her to go. At 62lbs that is still possible, but probably not for long. I just praise her when she does go out in rain to go. If I'm going to be gone for a long time, I just put her on leash and walk her around in the gravel area until she goes. She seems to like the fact that I have to get wet also

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

We have a gravel area, too. It wasn't intended to be a bathroom area, but that's what it's turned into. Frankie doesn't like to get his precious feeties wet. Tucker doesn't care, he'll run out and pee and run right back.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have a gravel area too but it doesn't seem to matter to them if it's gravel or grass if it's wet they don't like it....yet they have no problem jumping in a pool or lake : Silly dogs.
    If I can get him off the deck Zeus will pee in the gravel but Mocha won't.

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

Finn has no issues with wet grass thank goodness because Maggie is a b*tch about it. We have to leash them when the weather is bad because 90% of our yard is dirt still so we end up with a big mud hole. As soon as Maggie gets to where she can see that its raining she drops to the floor and refuses to move. When it has stopped raining we get her outside on the patio no problem but she refuses to go into the yard or even go potty on the patio (which I wouldn't mind) and tries to run back inside. We just push, pull, drag her along bc if we didn't she would just sit at the door and cry wanting to go out to potty but refusing once she saw the ground is still wet. She is getting better slowly.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

You guys are lucky Bogey will sit down in the middle of the yard when its pouring down rain! I have to almost beg him to come in. We had a thunder storm not too long ago didnt even phase him!!!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I make them go anyways. Peanut doesn't like the rain, but she tolerates it. If I let her, she would HATE it, and adamantly refuse to go out in it at all. We have always walked in any weather, so she's gotten used to it.

ETA: Baloo is like Bogey. Rainy days are party time!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I check our local weather radar on TV, The Weather Channel (a recurring part of its
    "Local on the 8s" every 8 minutes), and as long as there's no lightning in our immediate area, wear a rain suit, maybe take an umbrella, and off we go. Since we've always done this, Puff is used to it and offers no protest. When there is lightning, we delay until it passes. Puff's not all that joyous about going out in rain but she accepts it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

We are out for our morning walk no matter what the weather (well, unless it's freezing rain) and again at night, but the last call pee break before bed, I have to yell at them to get off the porch and go pee. Little buggers.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

It is amazing how they love to swim and roll in puddles but balk at going out into the rain. Duke will reluctantly go out in the rain but his time to pee may be a Guinness Book record, then you don't want to be standing in the door when he races back. Freckles is the worst as I usually have to leash his butt and drag him out when I know has to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast