Just Labradors banner

Serious Problem

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Canyon Labradors 
#1 ·
Find it hard to write this. Mainly, cause I know the solution already, but want to some help from the experts to see if I am over reacting.

I will start off by saying, over the summer, there was a news article not to far from where I live, where a toddler was sodomized by a dog. (not a lab). As long as I have had animals, and known several people to have animals, I have never heard this happening before.

Pitch is 9mos old now, the hormones I think are starting to kick in. I noticed it Yesterday where he was trying to hump one of his woobies. Today, while my son was on the floor, he tried to hump him. My son is not yet 2yrs of age. Nothing happened, He just went through the humping motions. I know the only way to correct this is by neutering him. I am not sure if we want to do that yet. What would be the best course of action when this happens. He has always been dominant over my youngest. If he has a chance he will knock him over and such, where he won't do that to my daughter. Little things like that. Would a Stern NO, be sufficiant. Using a Squirt bottle? Has anyone else expierenced this with their dog? I don't fear him doing what happened to that other toddler, but I can't help but to have that in the back of my mind.

-Shannon

See less See more
#2 ·
Is he in obed training? Humping is more a dominance issue than a testosterone-driven one. If he hasn't been to classes, I'd recommend them ASAP. You need to 'lift' your son in the pack, ahead of Pitch. Make it clear that any kind of dominant interaction w/your toddler is WAY OUT OF LINE, in no uncertain terms.

Training will help. So will NILIF, if you're not doing that....

Good luck!

#3 ·
We have put him through some obediance, he will be starting up the next level 1st week in November. Is there a way to make my son higher in the "Pack". Any suggestions. My son says some words, he isn't very vocal as of yet....Any ideas greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Momofalab said:
We have put him through some obediance, he will be starting up the next level 1st week in November. Is there a way to make my son higher in the "Pack". Any suggestions. My son says some words, he isn't very vocal as of yet....Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Your son cannot assert himself in the pecking order. You've got to do that for him. To do that, you're going to have to be EAGLE EYED for a couple of weeks, ensuring that Pitch is on his best behavior when around your son. Some things like making Pitch wait to go through the front door, insisting that your son goes through first, will help. Also, at feeding time, you and your son eat first, THEN Pitch.

I'd really recommend getting back into some heavy-duty obed training.

#5 ·
I think the main thing is to watch them when they are together and correct Pitch when you see him doing it. I normally just use a firm AHAH with Mocha to distract her from doing something she's not supposed to. Tell him to be easy if he's getting to rough. I think part of it may just be him being a puppy too he's going to be easily excitable and it doesn't take much to knock down a toddler. Neutering him may help and it may not. I know a lot of neutered dogs (and females who are spayed) who still hump.

I really don't think there is much to worry about as long as you supervise them.

#6 ·
I agree, this is a dominance issue. You are going to have to ride Pitch's butt to be sure he knows his place in your pack. Are you pack leader??? You need to let him know he comes after your children, always.

Neutering will help, but in many cases it doesn't stop a dog from humping. I have a female dog that humps things like crazy. She is my "alpha" girl and definitely pack leader among the dogs.

#7 ·
I agree. As "pack leader" it is your job to regulate Pitch's behaviour. YOU have to establish that behaviour as a no-no, I wouldn't try and have it come from your son, that'll just be confusing and more than likely ineffective.

Basically, Pitch does not do that because you tell him that that is not OK. And as pack leader, what you say goes. :)

#8 ·
Pitch has always been last one to eat, our trainer taught us that. Where I see the dominance is when my son is around him, I see Pitch intentionally try to knock him over. Or he Noses him, Uses his nose and constantly nudges him. Takes my sons pants and tugs on him, or his socks. If my son brings a toy into the area Pitch is in, he trys to take the toy away from him. He only does it to him. My daughter is 2 yrs older, but her and my son are about the same size...so not a size issue. Yet he listens to my daughter. I agree that he needs more training. He will be going in for another 6 wks of training come November. Overall he is a good dog...just when it comes to my son, he has issues. I would say this is nothing new, the two of them get along with each other. His dominance isn't being mean, he just is rough with him.

#10 ·
I'd tether him to your belt when he and your son are in the same room.

As for that news report, I honestly believe there's a lot more to that story than we will ever know - either the dog was trained to do that or there was something else going on. I doubt that will be even a remote thread of an idea in Pitch's head

#11 ·
I think he'll be fine. My dogs (especially Zeus) have a tendency to be very nosy and push with things on their level. I'm sure the toddler has lots of interesting smells too that Pitch is checking out hence then nosing and knocking him over. I think as your son grows and Pitch gets a little older it will work it's self out as long as you watch them carefully and try to teach Pitch to be easy.

#14 ·
I don't think that it has anything do to with dominance personally. He's a young dog, his hormones are kicking in and he is going to hump -- it's what male dogs do. At that age, they really don't have a clue about what they are doing. They do it because it is instinct. I also don't believe that young male dogs are plotting a coup to establish a 'pecking order'.

If Pitch were mine, I'd have him drag a long, light leash around. Any hint of inappropriate humping behavior and he would get an immediate verbal correction, followed by redirection elsewhere. The long line is there as backup just incase he doesn't respond to the verbal correction.

#15 ·
Trickster said:
I don't think that it has anything do to with dominance personally. He's a young dog, his hormones are kicking in and he is going to hump -- it's what male dogs do. At that age, they really don't have a clue about what they are doing. They do it because it is instinct. I also don't believe that young male dogs are plotting a coup to establish a 'pecking order'.

If Pitch were mine, I'd have him drag a long, light leash around. Any hint of inappropriate humping behavior and he would get an immediate verbal correction, followed by redirection elsewhere. The long line is there as backup just incase he doesn't respond to the verbal correction.
i agree!

also my girl, taylor, humps when she gets excited or when she is trying to get her big brother, luke, to play with her. for her, it's has nothing to do with dominance.

#16 ·
the "true" dominant dog usually NEVER humps. He/she doesn't have to...the others know who the dominant one is.
I tend to agree with the others regarding humping to initiate play. Dutch will do that to his sisters to try to get them to play...followed up with a butt tuck across the room. Zena used to try and hump Cissy during play....
I do agree that humping is not a "sexual" thing...rather a dominance or a play initiative. I agree that there is more to that story as kaytris said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.