Serious Problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious Problem

DefaultRe: Serious Problem

I think he'll be fine. My dogs (especially Zeus) have a tendency to be very nosy and push with things on their level. I'm sure the toddler has lots of interesting smells too that Pitch is checking out hence then nosing and knocking him over. I think as your son grows and Pitch gets a little older it will work it's self out as long as you watch them carefully and try to teach Pitch to be easy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Our spayed female still tries to hump the kids I've been trying to work on it because she knocks our younger one over when she does it.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I didn't realize that females hump too...I just thought it was a male thing. See I am always learning here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't think that it has anything do to with dominance personally. He's a young dog, his hormones are kicking in and he is going to hump -- it's what male dogs do. At that age, they really don't have a clue about what they are doing. They do it because it is instinct. I also don't believe that young male dogs are plotting a coup to establish a 'pecking order'.

If Pitch were mine, I'd have him drag a long, light leash around. Any hint of inappropriate humping behavior and he would get an immediate verbal correction, followed by redirection elsewhere. The long line is there as backup just incase he doesn't respond to the verbal correction.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I don't think that it has anything do to with dominance personally. He's a young dog, his hormones are kicking in and he is going to hump -- it's what male dogs do. At that age, they really don't have a clue about what they are doing. They do it because it is instinct. I also don't believe that young male dogs are plotting a coup to establish a 'pecking order'.

If Pitch were mine, I'd have him drag a long, light leash around. Any hint of inappropriate humping behavior and he would get an immediate verbal correction, followed by redirection elsewhere. The long line is there as backup just incase he doesn't respond to the verbal correction.
    i agree!

also my girl, taylor, humps when she gets excited or when she is trying to get her big brother, luke, to play with her. for her, it's has nothing to do with dominance.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

the "true" dominant dog usually NEVER humps. He/she doesn't have to...the others know who the dominant one is.
    I tend to agree with the others regarding humping to initiate play. Dutch will do that to his sisters to try to get them to play...followed up with a butt tuck across the room. Zena used to try and hump Cissy during play....
    I do agree that humping is not a "sexual" thing...rather a dominance or a play initiative. I agree that there is more to that story as kaytris said.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Thanks again guys...It does mean a lot when I have a place to go to ask questions.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

about the story in your local paper... last i read, the dog was found innocent, and the police were investigating the toddler's guardians.

editied to add:
    http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/late...updates-90.php
    http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/late...updates-91.php

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to point out that neutering won't help the humping because as others pointed out, it's dominance related and with or without the "boys" he'll still be trying to dominate your youngest. I vote for training...which it sounds like you already have planned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12