daycare injury

Thread: daycare injury

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Defaultdaycare injury

Just curious how common it is for a dog to get hurt at doggy daycare. Our 10 month old goes once a week and it really helps her burn energy. I picked her up today and immediately noticed a red area around her eye. I tried to look at it, but of course she was still really wound up. Daycare guy seemed surprised and was unaware of her getting hurt. Said she had been playing a lot with a 4 month old pup today. Debated whether to stop by vet's office on way home(they are a no appt clinic) and opted go straight home. After getting her calmed down at home I didn't like the looks of it, appears to be a bite on the upper back corner of lid, eye is a bit red and bottom lid was droopy a bit, so put her back in car and headed to vets. They checked and there are no abrasions on the eye. They sent us home with eye ointment and told us to come back in if it gets worse, but to recheck in 5 days. Vet said it was good we came because she said eye injuries can head south fast. Is this a common injury for playing dogs? How worried should I be that we will have complications?

Anyone else have a day care injury that required a vet visit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: daycare injury

I used to run a doggy daycare and I can count the number of times a dog needed vet care due to an injury on one hand. We did have our share of scratches, nips, worn down nails, torn pads, etc... They are dogs and they play with their teeth I hope your girl heals up quickly and can get back to the fun!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Don't go to doggy day care so have never had a problem. Hope your little girl heals up fast!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinnamon got "bit" on the side of her mouth (the fleshy part of the jowl) when her and her best bud at daycare went to catch a ball and Jax's caught Cinnamon's mouth with his teeth. Daycare took her in to grooming and washed it out well and applied a little suture glue to stop the bleeding. Called me and told me about it though.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Injuries are a risk that you take bringing your dog to daycare. As long as you are comfortable with the level of supervision and the professionalism of the staff, I wouldn't be too concerned about a few minor injuries.
    Lucy has had her toenails ripped several times at daycare. No worse for wear.

Thanks for the responses. My hubby was ready to not send her anymore. I asked him if our kids get hurt playing on the playground, do we keep them away from playgrounds, he answered no. In my mind playing = having fun, with the possibility of getting hurt. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't downplaying it too much and make sure there wasn't a huge risk I was overlooking.

I told him either she can continue to go to doggy daycare or face the alternative risk of me "killing her" when she gets into mega trouble at home. Don't panic I would never intentionally harm her in any way, but before doggy daycare she was a monster. I really did not like her and felt guilty because everyone talks about love at first look, how they worm there way into your heart immediately. We got her at 12 weeks and it took until she was 7 months old for me to like her and I seriously thought of getting rid of her. We tried training and didn't have great experience there, daycare was my last hope and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-lab
    We got her at 12 weeks and it took until she was 7 months old for me to like her and I seriously thought of getting rid of her. We tried training and didn't have great experience there, daycare was my last hope and it worked.
    I'm glad she's having a blast at daycare and being exhausted makes her more managable around the house, but it's not a substitute for proper training. What have you tried?

Henry was a daycare "brat" from the time he was 10 weeks old until he was 3.5. The only things that ever happened that required a vet visit were when he broke his toe wrestling with a dobie and catching kennel cough, despite being vaccinated for it. The occasional rough'n'tumble scrapes etc are a reality in a daycare environment. As Nicole said, dogs play with their mouths/teeth and paws with nails...

I agree as well that daycare should not be a substitute for proper training and good manners.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I'm glad she's having a blast at daycare and being exhausted makes her more managable around the house, but it's not a substitute for proper training. What have you tried?
    Well, the first place we tried for training was a complete waste of money. This was when Piper was into crocodile death rolls on our walks. I asked for suggestions on how to avoid this or correct it and they told me to limit our walks, keep them short enough that she wouldn't do it. Well, sometimes she would go into this attitude/behavior within 1 minute of starting our walk, so that wasn't a good solution. I had holes ripped in my sleeves, pants and hand from these episodes. It was like she went loony.

So I decided to try a different trainer. This one was much better, but they never believed me that she was a monster until the last day of class(when she showed her true actions at the end of class). They told me she was too dominant and I needed to become the alpha, go through doors first, eat first, no couch, etc, etc. (Well I was already doing this with NILF) They also suggested more exercise. I told them I was trying, but she doesn't fetch, won't run in the yard unless it is to keep something away from me, eats everything she shouldn't eat outside if left off leash(rocks, big sticks, leaves). I was at a loss how to get her the exercise she needed. They suggested a bike attachment and running her. Ummm, she was six months old at the time and I knew that wasn't the answer, so I lost faith in them also.

I've been too discouraged to try and find another trainer, both of these were recommended as being good

We do work on sit, down, staying, leave it, drop it, come with her, but it is a slow process. The kids participate and it seems to help her realize she has to listen to everyone in the household. I know it is doing some good because I accidentally dropped my cell phone in the yard the other day and she found it. I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to get it away from her and it would end up being chewed or damaged, but after a few circling runs around me, I was able to get her to drop it.

If anyone has any good trainers to recommend in the Vancouver WA area, I'd be interested in checking them out.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I agree with the comments on minor injuries with daycare. The only time Tal got one was when they were heading them for lunch then their afternoon nap, he and one of his friends were playing and Tal accidentally got nipped in the ear.

They called me and let me know. They cleaned it good, put a little neosporin on it and said he was just mad 'cuz he couldn't play for 5 minutes lol. That's my boy, allright!

Anyway, I kept it clean and all when he got home and in a few days it was cleared up. Like others said, they play sometimes get a nick or a scrape. If my mom had refused to let me play after my first injury, well you know where I'm goin with that one!

Anyway, sounds like you are doing things right. Good luck with the training. Sounds like she just needed to get a little extra exercise maybe!