*Updated at end*- Our fire/evacuation report (photos included)...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *Updated at end*- Our fire/evacuation report (photos included)...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Default*Updated at end*- Our fire/evacuation report (photos included)...

Hi all,
    Just got on quickly to let you know that I'm safe, thanks to a wonderful lab friend (since she took our entire zoo/family into her home yesterday during our mandatory evacuation) and her family.

My husband called me in a panic Sunday morning while I was up north at a show with Monty (where he placed first in Open Yellow under Winnie Limbourne- yay!) and finally got across to me that he needed someone with a truck. My friend's SU went right over and helped evacuate the animals (3 cats, our other lab, and our California desert tortoise, Isabella...Monty was with me, and Spike the parrot was at work). He then had his parents and sister (visiting from Minnesota) come up in their cars to haul antiques and important photos/documents away.

By the time I arrived back down there (it took about 4-5 hours, I can't remember) and had my friends pick up their girl who they sent with me, the smoke was miserable and the flames were getting closer. It really, really helped ease our stress being packed up and ready to run...especially without having to worry about finding/packing up the pets (what a help to alleviate so much stress!).

Sunday night we spent all night restless and waking up every hour or two to stare out the 2nd story windows at the flames on surrounding hillsides. Around 1:30am, we watched the power go out in Hasley Canyon, which we overlook...then about 15 min later, there was a stream of emergency vehicles heading into the Canyon to evacuate, emerging shortly thereafter with a string of resident cars in tow.

Here is the horizon outside from our 2nd story window:

Around 6:30am, my office mgr called and told me that I needed to stay home to ensure everyone was safe and taken care of. My friend called even before the police came to evacuate us, letting us know that there was an official mandatory evacuation notice coming across for the Hillcrest area (our neighborhood) at around 11:48am yesterday, and encouraged us to come join her, where she kept us safe, cool, and fed until they lifted the mandatory evacuation notice just before 4pm. On the news at that time, they called it a "recommended evacuation" instead for our area...but when we went up there, most of our neighbors were still gone.

Views from our 2nd story window just as the fire was pouring over the hillsides and just before we were evacuated officially:

This:

Went to this in about 5 minutes time- it was like watching lava pour over the crest of that hill outside:

The helicopters starting to drop water from our local lake (Castaic Lake):

We stayed for a while...but when the winds shifted and smoke started pouring into the area around 7pm or so, we decided that we didn't want to risk it and really wanted a good night's sleep so ended up checking into a hotel. Either way, being there wasn't going to save the house if the fire was going to take it down. We didn't want to inconvenience my friend and her family any more than necessary...we already dumped the zoo at their home!

So, we got a great night's sleep right across the freeway from the new "Magic Mountain Fire," LOL.

Smoke from what they are calling the "Magic Incident" (where it turns out, in the midst of all of the fires and evacuations yesterday, a construction crew had a spark from heavy machinery set off a new fire that continues to burn...just south of our house and the 126 fwy and right in the vicinity of where we lived before we moved right about 2 years ago):

The plane in front of the smoke is one of the huge "Super Scoopers" that goes and scoops huge amounts of water from the local lakes while flying and then drops it on the "hot spots"- Los Angeles County leases 2 of these planes from Quebec each fire season, and they usually fly in pairs (you can't see the 2nd one just behind and below this one in the photo).

Here it is just a little later as the sun was trying to set- the smoke plume is the dark shape on the left side of the photo, and the plane is just below the sun to the right:

There are still some smouldering patches but I think we'll be just fine and the house is still standing. Thanks to all for your thoughts, prayers, and inquiries today...I haven't had a chance to return all of the calls and e-mails I received. Continued prayers for all of those who are in more immediate danger than we are.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Our fire/evacuation report (photos included)...

Oh my gosh, Julie, that is terrifying. I'm so glad that you are all OK.

Everyone in the Southland has my best thoughts that you'll be through this soon.

(Oh, and congratulations on Monty's win!)

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Julie,

Congrats on Monty's win. I will say some extra prayers for you & all the other So Cal residents affected by these fires.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Menacing photos. I'm glad you, SU, and the furry crew are all safe. What a terrible tragedy for everybody. Stay safe.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I can only imagine how terrifying that must be. I am glad you are okay & your animals are safe. Those pictrues are so scary. Please stay safe.

Congrats on Monty's win also.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Oh my... prayers for all of you. Thanks for sharing those striking photos.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Fire scares the bejeezes out of me. I am so glad you and your crew are safe!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Those are some pretty dramatic shots! I can't even imagine how that must feel to see that so close.

Glad you are safe and continued good thoughts and prayers for all those affected.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hope all our southern Cal Labs are safe, and everyone else there also. Fire and Flood, they go where they want to.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear that you all are safe. Thanks for posting those pictures. It really made it hit home for me. Sending loads of good thoughts to you and all the California peeps. Stay safe.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast