Whats in your dogs name?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your dogs name?

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhats in your dogs name?

Just out of curiosity, how did you all come up with the names for your fur babies? We threw so many around that I thought he would never have a name. Bogey started as a joke and then we realized it just fit . We (my husband and I) are golf junkies, so I guess we expected him to be as well! His nickname is Bug Bug because chasing anyhting that moves is his favorite pastime. Doesnt matter if it flies , jumps or crawls hes up for it! ;D

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Whats in your dogs name?

Brody lay under our cook book shelf all his first night with us worrying a cat would eat him - I looked at the cook books on the shelf and Jean Brody's name lept out at me

Thea was named after my mum who's middle name is althea - shhhh don't tell her I told you - she hates it and Thea a minor Greek Godess very fitting for a chihuahua

Ibby was arrroooing in the back seat of the car when Tom met him - Tom declared he was a gifted writer and named him Ibsen

Gus is named Augusta a dog of great dignity - tho she's also named after Asperagus... as Tom has wanted an animal named Asperagus for quite awhile

and Sally ... I have no idea where Tom came up with Sally from... its fits her well though ... when I looked it up the idea "to sally forth" into a new life and a new lease on life fit her way too well ( her name had been Daisy and sadly Daisies die - and Tom was sure that wasn't going to happen to her so he wanted a new name - tho for months she was known as "Oh Daisy Doodle Caramel Sally's Been Biting" (or barking depending on the moment)

we have named wayyyyyy too many animals over the years...

Hank was Tank when a 3 week old puppy - renamed Hank when he stayed
    Ibby was arrroooing in the back seat of the car when Tom met him - Tom declared he was a gifted writer and named him Ibsen
    Pompeii the Pomerian just fit
    Petey came to us named Pee Tree as that's what he did
    Rufus came named and it stuck
    Laurice was a made up name

funny when I look at the list how many of the heart dogs that stick awhile Tom names...

lots of happy memories in the names too

(aren't you sorry you asked?)

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I wanted a one syllable name, somewhat "explosive" in sound (e.g., more like "Kack" rather than "Ann" or "Melody") as well as one that uniquely fit her.

At that time, I was dating a woman who had a daughter (Rachel) who was very much invested in the "Power Puff" girls on TV and I wanted Rachel to like her.

My puppy's fur was exceptionally soft, I thought.

So naming her "Puff" fit all my wants. ("Charmin" or "Kleenex" I rejected.)

But when people asked her name, they so continually asked, "Pup?" or "Pus?" that I added "...., the Magic Labrador"

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Both of mine were already named. :P

Murray is a rescue and I considered changing his name for a time but once you meet him, he's definitely a Murray. ;D I gave him his registered name though. The only Murray I could think of was the dog on the TV show Mad About You. So he's named after his favorite place (the creek by my in-laws cabin) and the tv show. Murray always gets called Murphy though and it irks me. It's MUR-RAY, no ph in the name.

Essy was purchased from her breeder when she was 14 months old so I didn't want to change it. Besides, it's unusual (and I like unusual names). I mean how many other Essy's do you know? It's short for Essence from her registered name. People are never quite sure how to pronounce it "EC", "Espy", etc. ;D

This is a picture of the creek that Murray was named after

Shelby was named after a lake in Gulf Shores, AL. Our family had many fond memories of it -- especially the summer we got Shelby. We spent hours going through names and my husband vetoed all of them : until we got to Shelby.

Nellie was already named when I got her. She was found wandering in the mountains of western Maryland on Christmas day. Animal control named her Noelle. Lab rescue renamed her Nellie saying that it is hard to train a dog with a name that starts with "NO." Makes sense to me. Anyway I was going to rename her but decided the poor thing already had had too many names.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Payton, AKA Walter Payton

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Mugs and Sassy are named after Root beer.

Mugs is "Sir Mugs of Sarsaparilla"

Sassy is "Sarsaparilla"

Root beer was originally called Sarsaparilla, cos is't made from the root of the sarsaparilla plant.

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

When I was 15 when I went to a camp in the mountains of CO. I did a lot of horseback riding. I fell in love with a horse named Pete. I really wanted a "people" type name for my lab so I named in Pete in honor of the horse I loved. As for his akc name I chose " A Shogun Named Pete", which comes from a song from my favorite band called "A Shogun Named Marcus".

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I rescued Lexi, so she had a name, Faylyn, when I got her. Thankfully she'd only had that name a week or so, so I changed it since I really did not like Faylyn.

I bounced a bunch of names around, but I wanted her name to be connected to one of my favorite music groups, the Backstreet Boys. (Let the snickering begin cause I like a "boy band") My favorite member, Kevin Richardson, hails from Lexington, KY... thus Lexi which is obviously a shortened form of that city.

The whole time I kept in the back of my head, that she'll tell me whether that will be her name.

Of course, she gets called all sorts of variations of Lexi, plus a dozen or so other nicknames I have for her. It is amazing she knows & responds to her name.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast