Ivy - trouble with back legs ... UPDATE ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivy - trouble with back legs ... UPDATE ...

DefaultIvy - trouble with back legs ... UPDATE ...

**UPDATE AFTER VET APPT. 10/23 - 1:30pm**
    We went to have the vet take a look at Ivy's legs. She concurs that the rear right leg is the problem ... she manipulated/examined as best she could ... there was slight tenderness, but nothing indicating a major injury. Sounds like a sprain or strain ... there is really very little indication of any problem when Ivy is walking or standing ... it is when she has to put pressure on her rear legs - when she gets up from a prone position, or when she is going up stairs. In the meantime, we're going to live the stair-less life with pottytime on a leash ... hopefully this will heal.

No pain meds right now, as she does not seem to be in pain, and the awareness of her limitations is one of the few things making her agreeable to the stairless life. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Ivy is quite stoic, and I'm not sure if I can gauge how much discomfort she is having. I am going to call the vet back to discuss this more ... maybe aspirin? I'm just not sure. :-\

One funny thing ... this morning I brought Ivy's food and water up to the main floor of the house, where she will be spending her time. I left Raleigh's food and water downstairs at the doggie feeding station. With this new change, both of them were thrown for a loop and neither one of them would eat. Soooooooooooooooo ... I brought Raleigh's dishes up, and placed them to the right of Ivy's. Still no eating from either one of them. O.k., then ... I forgot ... Raleigh goes on the left ... what was I thinking? I moved Raleigh's dish to the left ... all was right with the world ... and breakfast could proceed. :
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

** Little Update **
    The vet can see us this afternoon. I can tell now that it is the right rear leg. I took her out for potty-on-a-leash, and when she squatted she was listing to the left. She also tried to do her tough-girl-potty-dance, but she just gingerly drew her right leg up. We're maintaining quarantine rules, and taking it easy today.
    ************************************************** ***********************************

It's late, and I'm sitting here with Ivy. Her back legs gave out on her again, just about 30 minutes ago. I am really scared. :'( I posted in O&E about how she feel down the stairs last night : https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,60340.0.html

She has not been on any stairs today ... tonight her back legs collapsed when she tried to stand up after having been asleep.

Both times this has happened at about 10pm, when she rouses herself from sleep to see what the rest of the family is up to. It makes sense that she might be stiff and weak from having been asleep, but these past two nights her legs have literally given out on her. She's only 8 1/2, so I am really surprised and concerned. And this is sudden.

As far as her daytime activity ... she was totally normal today, albeit considering that she was confined to one floor of the house. :-\

Good thoughts, please, if you can spare some.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ivy - trouble with back legs ...

You mentioned that her legs fell out from under her whenshe fell down the stairs, and again tonight. These collapsing legs, are they something that has happened before and a know cause? Or is this something new? If the former, I guess you know what you are dealing with and I hopeonly for the best for Ivy. If the latter, legs collapsing for no know reason? I would be at the vets when they open.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I can only say I agree, to the vet asap! Ivy and you are in my thoughts, please give her a kiss from sammi and I :-*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

She could be having back issues. I'd get her in to see the vet. I hope she'll be feeling sturdier soon.

Sending Ivy good thoughts anf prayers!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts your way. I know how upsetting this must be...and of course it has to happen late at night....isn't that always the way. :-\

My dear Huckle had neck/back herniations that caused hind leg weakness.I could tell when he was having a bad day because he would stand with both feet almost touching one another and sometime he would sway back and forth because of this stance. Does Ivy recover from the collapse right away? Does she seem to have a normal gait? Is she standing normally?

I'm praying it's nothing serious. Please go to the vet and let us know as soon as you can what you find out!

Thank you, everyone. I'm going to bunk with Ivy tonight on the main floor of the house, just in case she has any needs during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by hark67
    Does Ivy recover from the collapse right away? Does she seem to have a normal gait? Is she standing normally?
    I've been watching this issue for 24 hours now, and I don't see any problem with gait or standing. Nor does it seem to be neurological. It seems to be a momentary lack of muscle strength in her hind legs that, with assistance, she moves past fairly quickly. In both cases, the muscle "failure" happened immediately upon waking. And, in both cases, I helped her up and she "walked it out". Oddly enough, she lounged around the house today in her normal nap pattern without any problems. Why only at night?

I also go back to the original fall on the steps. Was there developing weakness that caused her legs to give out on the steps? Or did she mis-step and injure herself? In a nutshell ... my mind is racing in between (1) age related muscle degeneration and (2) a heal-able injury.

We will have the vet take a look tomorrow ...

Edited for spelling ...

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

This sounds exactly like the problem I have with my lab as well. They have exrayed hips and such in the past and he had minimal arthritis. He is just about 8 years old and after a fair bit of activity during the day he will get stiff after resting and at times the legs give out on him. After moving around a bit he gets better and you can't tell there is any problem at all.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

How scary and heartbreaking! I really hope the vets can give you some answears, I hope it's just temporary. Lots of good thoughts and smooches for precious Ivy. :-* :-*
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast