Incontinence in a senior dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incontinence in a senior dog

Melissa is offline Senior Member

DefaultIncontinence in a senior dog

Does anyone have any advice for me about this? I know for future dogs one way we'll deal is by getting rid of all the carpet and only having washable rugs! But for now...

If you google canine incontinence a ton of homeopathic treatment sites come up. Does anyone have experience with that?

Do dogs really tolerate doggie diapers?

Thanks.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I know there are a lot of prescription meds that can be given for it, but I've never had to deal with it personally.

bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Some times incontinence is not a bladder control issue, but a cognitive problem. You may want to discuss canine cognitive meds with your vet

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Do dogs really tolerate doggie diapers?
    The answer is yes they do. I am working through this myself with Reggie. He has some control but may not make it out the door if he's excited or has been in a long time. I think it is related to his DM, so if you think the incontinence is due to something else, you can try and treat it. I dont think there is anything I can really do for old Reggie.

So I've been working thought the diaper thing for overnight and long days. I was sure he'd rip them off or try to eat them but he has left them totally alone. One thing I've learned is that not all diapers are the same. I had some re-usable one that worked well but I didn't realize it was chaffing him and he got a nasty open wound. That is all taken care of, but I'm now a bit concerned when I see something that has some tight elastic band. I found if I put some sort of liner in that covers the elastic band seam, it works. Right now I am trying some human adult diaper pants. I am able to pull it over both his legs and it functions like a belly band but without a hard seam.

Good luck to you. If you need to talk or want some support, feel free to IM me.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Quote Originally Posted by RangerMom View Post
    The answer is yes they do. I am working through this myself with Reggie. He has some control but may not make it out the door if he's excited or has been in a long time. I think it is related to his DM, so if you think the incontinence is due to something else, you can try and treat it. I dont think there is anything I can really do for old Reggie.

So I've been working thought the diaper thing for overnight and long days. I was sure he'd rip them off or try to eat them but he has left them totally alone. One thing I've learned is that not all diapers are the same. I had some re-usable one that worked well but I didn't realize it was chaffing him and he got a nasty open wound. That is all taken care of, but I'm now a bit concerned when I see something that has some tight elastic band. I found if I put some sort of liner in that covers the elastic band seam, it works. Right now I am trying some human adult diaper pants. I am able to pull it over both his legs and it functions like a belly band but without a hard seam.

Good luck to you. If you need to talk or want some support, feel free to IM me.
    Using human diapers, what do you do about his tail?

We believe Otis' problem is lack of sensation due to his DM also. Vet doesn't believe medication will help him much, if any, so I don't want to put him on another prescription for nothing.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Just cut a hole in the diaper...it works

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

BELLY BANDS

Drs. Fosters and Smith has THEM ON SALE NOW.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

So this is my first attempt at human diapers. I actually picked them up today. I went with the adult since baby and toddlers were too small. For my first attempt, I was going to cut a small hole in it for the tail but had a bright idea and was able to put both of Reggie's legs through both leg holes so it looks like a belly band. I had gotten a doggie belly band but it also seemed to have some tight elastic seams so I am a little gunshy about giving Reggie a sore again. I may give it a try though.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Thanks, Betsy. I had never heard of belly bands before so I was confused! That looks like it may work. Definitely going to have to give it a try.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When my brother's senior had the problem, phenylpropanol amine solved the problem 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast