Lazy lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy lab

maedi is offline Member

DefaultLazy lab

Doolie must be the laziest puppy (8.5 mo) in the world ! Does anyone else have a lab puppy that would just as soon lay around and not play? How do you motivate them? He's not thrilled with walks, gets bored with fetch, chase, or any of the normal games you would play. He loves the dog park and day care, but distance and price make them a once a week (each )event.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lazy lab

Yes, you have to work very hard to become your dog's best playmate.

Remington loves playing with other dogs, but when I first got him, he couldn't care less about me. He's finally coming around and it's been 9 months. It takes EFFORT and being silly a lot, but he's learning to "play" my silly human games, and he's liking it as well.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Gee, doesn't sound like my two labs! It wasn't until they turned 2 that they calmed down some.

Brookville, Pa.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Count your blessings?

Crash was always content to lie around and hang out. He was just a very calm, balanced, gentle boy.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

TheBigRaloo is offline Senior Member

Raleigh was like this as a puppy ... he grew into a lovely, relaxed companion ... a joy to have around the house!
    Ivy and Raleigh - BFF since 2001<br />

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Jonah is pretty lazy too! He's only 4 months, and he's been like that since day one. I just do short games of fetch, chase, whatever (we may pitch the ball 3 times, and then he's content to lay down near me and chew on it). If I try to take him in the front during the day to play, he just goes potty and goes back to wait by the front door to go on. Although on walks he often tries to come back home, if we meet other people out, that's a different story. He becomes a different pup, so excited to see other people, getting that "pet me! pet me!" excited dance. So, we've started walking when everyone in the neighborhood is getting home from work so they can say hi to him. We also took him to a Marina where people walk around and he was much more energetic there as well.

Does your pup enjoy the company of others? How about walks where people are for a change of scenery?

I have to say for about an hour first thing in the mornings, Jonah has plenty of energy (puppy spurts, getting into everything, closer to typical lab behavior), and it makes me VERY glad he's so calm the rest of the day and night!
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

jan elaine Guest

Okay, so where did you get these dogs? ;D I want names and numbers of breeders please!! Both of my labs were hyper, destructive, full of beans, little angels! : I'd love a nap buddy!!

2labs4us is offline Senior Member

My Hunter was a lazy puppy too. Actually, when I picked him out he was sleeping and wanted nothing to do w/me. He slept for hours as a puppy. He would play for a few minutes and then stalk off to his favorite sleeping spot (the floor next to the toilet). I used to bring him outside when I did yardwork and he never tried to run away, he would just sleep under the deck. He never chewed anything and never went through a bitey stage. In fact, if you put your finger in his mouth, he would move his mouth away. He was the easiest puppy.
    Now that he is 2 he has more energy and likes to play, but he still loves his sleep. He is content to lie around at my feet in the house. He is sweet and affectionate and very mellow.
    Try to find a toy that Doolie really likes. Hunter loves anything that squeaks and my other dog Abbey loves tug toys.

luv4labs is offline Member

I'm with jan elaine. Where are the pups coming from?? Drake is into everything and it seems the more we exercise, the more energy he has. He's here, there and everywhere and quick as a fox. Luckily, he does listen and obey most of the time. If I tell him "down," he lays down, but you can tell it's killing him. He looks like he's about to jump out of his skin.
    &quot;My sunshine doesn&#39;t come from the skies,<br />It comes from the love in my dog&#39;s eyes.&quot;<br />

skippin is offline Member

Mine balance each other out. The male is very active and energized, the female is a lap buddy who doesn't exercise unless we are going for a walk or hike. Needless to say, we do both often in addition to playing, for the benefit of both temperments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast