An expensive walk - GRRR!

Thread: An expensive walk - GRRR!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultAn expensive walk - GRRR!

Yesterday was so NOT my day.

In the morning I took my crew (they were off leash) out and Maisy did a disappearing act on me. Leashed up the other dogs and began calling her frantically. Then it occurred to me that the fields we were walking on backed onto a housing development. That had never concerned me before because there is a fence separating the development and the fields. Apparently, there was a gap in the fence. : I walked around to the development. 10 minutes (which seemed like an eternity) of manic searching later and I finally found her, munching her way through a bin bag (trash bag) full of rotten food. I was too furious and paniced to even correct her. No more off leashing for this dog for the forseeable future. >

and on to the expensive part...

I'm looking after my neighbours two dogs for the week. Bruce, a black Lab and Sam a mixed breed, probably a Greyhound cross. Both dogs have electric collars. I'm not going to get into how I feel about e-collars, but lets just say that both dogs have them and as they are not my dogs I am obligated to leave them on for walks, as per the owners instructions.

Long story short; we were coming up to the end of the walk, just about to leash up both dogs when I noticed Sam's collar had gone. Yup, the freaking thing had come loose. Retraced my steps. Nothing. Took the dogs back home (furious) and headed back out to look for it again. Trawled through the undergrowth, accidentally falling in the stream and getting soaked in the process. : Nothing again. By this point it was getting dark and I was wet and muddy so I had to give up. Stormed back home, printed up some posters on the computer and stuck them around the area it went missing.

That was Sunday afternoon. Now it's 2:30pm on Monday and not a single word from anyone. I'm still hoping someone might find it otherwise, total cost for the walk:

£150 ($300) > > >

That may not seem like a lot to some, but I'm a student -- nuff said. :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: An expensive walk - GRRR!

I have never handled an eCollar, but...
    Do you have the transmitter?
    Can you set the it to tone from the transmitter?
    Can you retrace using the tone to help you locate it?

I have misplaced my cell phone in the house, or lost it from my belt out in the yard many times. I use my DW's to call it and follow to the ringer.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

What's a transmitter?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh no! What a horrible day! Maybe the collar will turn up still. I hope so!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    What's a transmitter?
    You said they had electric collars that your neighbor insisted you keep on them. I assumed they were training collars, and not collars for an electric fence. If they are electric fence collars, forget my comments. Otherwise it would make no sense to insist they be left on them. I also assumed that the neighbor would have left the transmitter, the handheld unit you can use to cause the collar to send a shock or tone to the dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

OOOOHH how bloody annoying, particularly as you don't even like them and they are not yours...

I hope it turns up soon so you don't end up forking out for a replacement-

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

I also assumed that the neighbor would have left the transmitter, the handheld unit you can use to cause the collar to send a shock or tone to the dog.
    Yes, but the e-collar itself is silent, unfortunately, so the transmitter is no help.

Grrr. I have until next Saturday to hope it turns up.