What Do You Carry On Walks?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Carry On Walks?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat Do You Carry On Walks?

I posted this question awhile back but didn't get a lot of responses, so I'm going to try again. I'm wondering what you guys/gals carry with you for protection on walks with your dogs, if anything. What prompted me to ask this again, is in this morning's paper there is a very sad story about a little beagle that was killed by a great dane on Saturday. The owner of the beagle brought him to the dog park for a morning walk, like he has done several times before. Apparently a great dane and his walker came along, and they started to sniff each other, no growling or anything by either dog. Before they knew it the great dane had the beagle in his jaws and neither dog owner could stop it. The beagle died at the vet later. This is so sad. Poor little guy. :'( (Both dogs were on leash). I'd like to carry something with me on my walks with Breezy, and especially when we are down at the beach. You just never know. I was thinking about pepper spray, but what if I panicked and sprayed Breezy instead? I saw online a stick/wand-like thing that had pepper spray inside it, I forget what it's called. Then you have the long stick to use if you need to whack an attacking dog, and also the option to use the spray. Anybody have any ideas? I think I'd really like to carry something, because if I ever encountered something like that poor beagle went through, I'd like to be prepared. Only thing is, I need both hands free when we walk. So maybe there's something you can wear on your waist and grab if you need it??? All suggestions welcome! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What Do You Carry On Walks?

I think this story demonstrates a good reason for not letting dogs meet on lead. If one gets aggressive, the other cannot run. It just isn't a good idea anyway based on everything I have read. i.e. leash aggression.

By protection, it appears that you are trying to protect dog from dog, and not necessarily yourself. If you want to keep your hands free, i.e. not carry a big stick, it would seem some kind of pepper spray is about your only choice.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I carry my cell phone in a pocket and a poop bag.

I rarely let other dogs that I don't know meet and greet Gabby. 1) I don't know if they have had vaccinations. 2) I don't know if the owner is a fruitcake or the dog is aggressive 3) Between daycare, the dog park and the training club, she gets tons of social time- this is our (well, mainly my) exercise time. You don't stop on the treadmill for social hour.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Both of your points are well taken. However, I am concerned not only about onleash walks, but for instance when we are down at the beach. At this time of the year there is hardly anyone down there when we go. But every now and then someone with a dog will come by. The other day I was at the beach with Breezy, hardly a soul around. From way down the beach I see a loose dog approaching us. I was a little anxious, not knowing the dog and wondering what I could use if I had to get it away from my girl. She was offleash before I saw the dog, and when I saw him coming I called her to me and put her leash on. The dog came up to us, a boxer, and thankfully all he did was sniff Breezy. His tail was not wagging, neither was Breezy's. In fact she kept trying to get away from the boxer, and would jump up on me with that look "I'm not sure of this, Mom". I tried to get the boxer to leave. No deal. Then I saw a woman approaching, and I assumed it was the owner. Well she sure was taking her sweet a$$ time in getting to her loose dog. She wasn't even calling it to come to her. I was annoyed by the time she got to us. She put the leash on her dog, no apology, just kind of shrugged it off with a chuckle and some dumb remark about he's only 16 months old, and 'how old is your dog'? I said, "She's 10 and half months old. And I don't think she was too comfortable with your dog." Another chuckle, and off they went. : : : But I'm getting off the topic. I guess what I'm wondering is, what about those times when it ISN'T when you're out walking, but just getting some good exercise with retrieving, etc. I suppose pepper spray would be a good idea.

Felix Guest

Nothing at all !!

rexduke Guest

Nothing....I have never really thought about it. I don't let Duke or Daisy greet other dogs. I want them to ignor people and dogs while we are walking. Your doggie can sense your fear, if you are afraid of an approaching dog, you puppy will be afraid too.

I am a pistol-pack'in pastor. I only recommend this if you have been properly trained in handling a firearm. I am also never without a knife or two.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff and I walk for 40-60 minutes early every morning in a nature preserve/bird sanctuary which contains wildlife (deer, foxes, rabbits, skunks, feral cats, etc.) which has many trails; many people walk their dogs on these trails usually leashed, sometimes not (Puff is usually not but I carry a leash to clip on whenever we see others).

The main area is roughly 1 mile X 1/2 mile and often we don't see anyone. Before starting to walk there with Puff I used to bike on a sidewalk that runs along one side of it and occasionally saw loose dogs.

So I looked for those things (in addition to my cell phone) to take along that would make it safer.

I thought of cattle prods in case we ran across a vicious dog but they're illegal in our city limits. Pepper sprays ARE legal (and much lighter and cheaper than electric prods) so I got a cannister of Guard Alaska Bear Spray. Never had to use it but it shoots 20-25 feet and should do the job.

It's available many places (about $30-35) but here's one:

http://www.defensedevices.com/bearpepspray.html

Every morning I wear a Cabela's Safari vest** which has many pockets for all our walking stuff: -- treats; bear spray; first aid supplies + Bruce Fogle's "First Aid for Dogs"** (paper back); a spare leash; water bottle for Puff & folding fabric dish** to pour water in; Sangean FM/AM/TV(audio only) pocket radio DT-210V(audio only)** to listen to NPR; and a Dogtra 200 Gold NCP e-collar** among many other things such as poop pick up bags for the rare times Puff poops on the trail or outside of the brush and tall grass on both sides, etc., etc.

Cabela's** http://www.cabelas.com enter Safari vest in Cabela's search field; about $60

"First Aid for Dogs"** see www.amazon.com -- about $10 + S&H

water** I use an empty Gator-Ade bottle or similar and a cheap fabric folding water dish from PetsMart. I offer Puff water just before we pass a swamp and pond where I know she'll be tempted to drink the wild stuff.

Sangean radio DT-210V(audio only)** see www.amazon.com about $35, superb reception (FM over 70 miles), TV audio channels 2-13 only, about the size of a deck of cards.

Dogtra 200 Gold NCP e-collar** -- I don't recommend an e-collar for training but use this for situations (skunks, strange dogs, etc) in which recall must be absolute. This model also has one stim which is a vibrating buzz and we use that 99.999% of the time. Dogtra now has others which have only non shock stimulations -- tone, vibrating buzzer, etc. -- for training.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

re: meeting other dogs:

Since we've walked this area about 2,000 times, we meet some dogs that are familiar and some that aren't.

The familiar ones that are friendly, if the other owner has time, we unleash our dogs and let them play a bit. Puff loves to be chased and the dogs often play "Lions chasing the Wildebeeste" with Puff playing the role of the wildebeeste.

The familiar ones that aren't friendly, I keep Puff leashed and make a wide detour around them.

Unfamiliar ones -- I can often judge by the other dog's posture whether there's a good possibility it's friendly or aggressive. Puff's never met a dog she didn't want to be friends with despite occasional unfriendly encounters.

When they seem friendly, we usually let the dogs sniff each other while still leashed and if there's tail wagging and no hackles, I ask if the owner wants to let them play together and if the answer is yes, we unleash them.

That's worked for us probably several hundred times with no problems.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I carry two poop bags and I don't let Nellie near any dogs I don't know.

Wow, Bob, thanks for all that great info! I just now saw your response and I really do appreciate you taking the time to post all that valuable information! I'll surely look into that vest; it sounds like just what I need. The fanny pack just isn't cutting it anymore, and on our beach outings, the backpack is a pain in the, well, the back!
    I will also look for that Bear Spray.......couldn't hurt to have it, right.
    Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast