A funny thing our training director said...

Thread: A funny thing our training director said...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultA funny thing our training director said...

Just a random thing I remembered from this weekend that makes me laugh. It's probably funnier if you know her, but I think you will still see the humor.

Our training director came up to me this weekend to ask me what I was showing in. When I replied Rally, she sort of rolled her eyes and said, "You need to start showing in Novice!"

I have been getting quite a bit of peer pressure about this from the experienced trainers at the club lately. :P

I replied to her, "Well, you know, I'm just trying to get them to the point that they don't act like little monkeys in the ring..."

She shot back, "I've been showing Labs for 19 years, and I'm telling you, I don't think any of you are going to live that long!"

Funny training director. :P

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A funny thing our training director said...

That is funny - was she smiling when she said it, or serious? I don't blame you about the monkey part. You don't see too many dogs get the "zoomies" in the obedience ring - best to have that out of them. And don't let her roll her eyes at Rally - it comes with its own "challenges" and isn't as easy as some people would like to have you think.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    That is funny - was she smiling when she said it, or serious? I don't blame you about the monkey part. You don't see too many dogs get the "zoomies" in the obedience ring - best to have that out of them. And don't let her roll her eyes at Rally - it comes with its own "challenges" and isn't as easy as some people would like to have you think.
    Oh, she was cutting up. But I do feel that from some of the old guard, more serious handlers. I don't think they take Rally very seriously. But they really don't know anything about it.

I heard two women talking outside the Rally ring this weekend. One said to the other, "You know, I think this seems harder than traditional obedience...it makes the handler think a lot more." Very true. In obedience, you are told what to do every step of the way. There is some comfort in that! Harder to get lost or confused!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HAHAHA! I think she may have a point. ;D

A lot of the old traditional obedience people are set in their ways and snub their noses at Rally. I've managed to talk a few into trying a course or two at practice and they all said it was a lot harder than they thought...with comments like "I've never taught a left (or right) finish or back up 3 steps" or whatever. They still won't show in it but I think it opened their eyes a little.

I've learned showing Gabby that you can't die of embarrassment- even though you sometimes want to

If Gabby can qualify in Novice- so can your boys!