Fabric Crate VS Wire Crate (Travellers)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Crate VS Wire Crate (Travellers)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultFabric Crate VS Wire Crate (Travellers)

Do mesh/fabric crates travel better than wire crates?

Rock's wire crate collapses fairly well (and quite small considering the frame) but there is always the weight and possibly tears into fabric (like the seats in a car) that can be an issue.

For example, a place I use to travel a crate is behind the driver/passenger seat (tied down so rocky can lay on the back seats). Would this be better with a mesh crate?

I assume that the frame size is about the same.

ETA - I DO NOT USE THE CRATE IN THE CAR - I am looking at very small cars (Yaris, Golf). I am FOLDING up the crate when travelling and want one that is easier to lug around and fold up.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fabric Crate VS Wire Crate (Travellers)

I use the fabric collapsible crate for travel, and it is sooo much easier. It weighs a fraction of what the wire one does and there's no worry of damage or injury from the awkward heavy wire one.

They're not super expensive either. The N2N one I bought was about the same price as a wire one. (I went with the 36", as the 42" one wouldn't fit in my trunk.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I too like the soft-sided crates for travelling/shows. I have both a 42" and a 36" PetNation PortACrate for Henry (the 42" one stays at home as his home crate... too big to fit conveniently into my car) and am ordering him a new Noz2Noz N2 series 36" crate for shows.

They're super easy to set up and break down, and fairly light.

We've had others (Petmate's pet tent) that were really light but Henry learned very quickly how to roll them... end over end and barrel-style. I didn't find that it was as well put-together and sturdy as the PortACrate/Noz2Noz ones.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gabby has two crates- a soft crate that lives in the closet and comes out for shows and trips and such, and her wire one that is up all the time. The wire one is probably at least 15 years old and heavy as all get out. I banged the crap out of my legs trying to carry it to the car the one time I traveled with it.

I will likely be replacing the soft crate we have (Pet Gear Home N'Go) with a Noz to Noz one. We've been happy with it, but the plastic foldy parts are showing stress signs...Plus, I like the "curtains" for the N2N ones- Gabs is always really distracted at shows.

Thanks

I'm actually not worried about Rocky breaking it, but don't want to spend money needlessly (plus I do'nt actually HAVE a car at the moment!! hopefully within a year). but I do lug around the big metal crate everywhere and even though it's one of the easiest metal ones to break down (and it folds down small) it's still a pain.

I have looked at the NozNoz N2 series (online) and because of the weight thing (Rocky is 82) I assume i'd have to go with the 38" (the 36" says it's good for 70 pounds and under).

Most likely I will get a small car, hopefully a hatch (possible a yaris hatch, golf or matrix depending on various factors - if I can make a Yaris work i'd prefer that).

Oh we will likely be doing some flyball tournements next year so he'll need it then (I usually bring it to the dog sitters and when I visit family as well)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We use the Midwest Canine Campers, and they really travel great. They have their own little suitcase they fold up into. They're pretty sturdy, but of course wouldn't be for a heavy chewer or determined escapee. Simon actually got out of his at the first show he went to! I was showed by some kind people that there is a safety latch, and since then we haven't had any incidents.

We really like ours. We just bought another for this show, actually, because we only had one.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

labby is offline Senior Member

I couldn't live without my soft crates for travel.

Laura

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

How old is your pup? I ask because I tried using a soft sided crate when Sammi was a pup and it didn't work at all- she was so hyper in it she would "roll" the crate over -wasn't so funny then but now I laugh about it! We put it up and tried again when she mellowed out some, now we use it when ever we travel, she will be 2 in Feb.

Rocky is 3 and not a chewer. It would be something pretty amazing that would have him damage the crate.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Just a word of warning- fabric crates aren't as safe as wire or plastic crates in a crash. Years ago I bought a canvas cover so the Vari Kennel wouldn't scratch the interior of the Windstar. You can buy them for wire crates, too. As far as hauling a crate to set up shows, etc- our fabric crate gets my vote hands down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast