UPDATE: post vet visit, Monday.
So, the vet manipulated everything and couldn't find anything out of sorts, or get a pain response from him (I kinda expected this a bit, as I couldn't either)
We talked a bit about x-rays, and I raised my concerns about them being positioned properly, and I told him of my intention to send them to the radiologists at Guelph (Very well-respected university teaching hospital in the area). He assured me that he was familiar with the importance of proper alignment, and had done these types of x-rays many times before.
So we go in for x-rays first thing tomorrow morning, which is actually earlier than I thought. He will be put under general anesthesia in order to guarantee good positioning. Not something I'm crazy about, but I do want them to be accurate, I really don't want him to have to go back a bunch of times. :-\
So I will update again once I hear back from the vet and the radiologists at Guelph regarding the x-rays. I really really hope that it's nothing serious.
So if you can spare a good thought for clean, normal x-rays for Baloo tomorrow, that'd be great.
I don't know if it's worse, or better for that matter. I think it's pretty much the same. :-\
Everytime he gets up after laying down for a bit, he's limping. Every other time he seems fine, but his gait seems a little "off" to me, but I've past the point of knowing whats reality and whats just paranoia. :-[
I'm taking him to the vet for sure tomorrow, as soon as I can get in. I'm worried, and scared.
I spent most of my night shift last night playing around with the search function on the board, and reading peoples stories about their experiences with elbow dysplasia. buddysmom, Tatyana, Jasmine Dream, among others....... their experiences started off much the same as what I'm experiencing now, and that scares the absolute $hit out of me.
Reading about how it took months for a diagnosis, different sets of x-rays because it was missed in the initial stages.... oh boy.
So what should I do tomorrow at the vet? What should I ask for? Should I ask for x-rays or take him somewhere else for that? I want to be able to leave with a little piece of mind, even if it's bad news, the wondering/worrying/not knowing is killing me. :'( :-\
Any advice would be great.
ETA: He has been kept quiet all weekend. He's basically been either in his crate or tethered to Dan or I, so has not had an opportunity to aggravate it at all.
How old is Baloo? Payton went through "growing pains" at about 5-6 moths old. Total rest, bloodwork, and vet visit and she was fine after about 2-3 weeks. Get Baloo to the vet. Hope he feels better. Potty walks with a leash only.
Baloo is 7 months.
Kate, Scotty was one of the cases where he was not diagnosed by his regular vet during two visits and two sets of x-rays (not until I had the x-rays sent to a radiologist). Scotty's vet kept saying it was pano/growth pains. I guess you can do several things. You can ask your vet to refer you to an ortho specialist and wait for the ortho vet to take x-rays (probably better at it than a regular vet, but not necessarily), or have your vet take x-rays, try to diagnose and follow-up with the ortho vet. Or you can ask your regular vet to send the x-rays to a radiologist (our nearest one was in Colorado at a vet school there).
It sounds like you're really worried and have read enough about the difficulty for regular vets to read elbows to want a better set of eyes look over Baloo's. I can definitely understand and personally, will go to an ortho specialist from now on if there is anything suspicious going on.
Keeping Baloo in my prayers that it's just a sprain or simple soreness of some sorts.
In my opinion 7 months is a good age to have x-rays taken. Often if a puppy is 5 - 6 months of age then an orthopedic condition such as OCD or FCP in the elbows is not detected however the older they are the easier it becomes to obtain a correct diagnosis. I would go ahead with x-rays and have an orthopedic specialist examine them. If your vet has one on staff or on call then I would pay the extra for the consult or I would simply mail them to OFA and pay the nominal fee. Ask at your vet if they have OFA cards and mailing stickers - you can fill it out and pop them in the mail tomorrow after the appointment. If the x-rays look clean and normal by everyone's account you can stop worrying so much. Yes it's true that sometimes a condition is present and not diagnosed upon x-ray until a later age (10 - 14 months of age) however if his x-rays look clean at 7 months then the chances of him having a serious condition requiring surgery is very low.
Remember puppies can and do limp and then go on to recover and have no issues as adults. It's only those of us who know what can go wrong that worry so much!
Oh Kate. I'm sorry to hear that Baloo is still limpy. I was thinking about him today.
As far as xrays go, you could either have your vet take them and then send them to the ortho peeps at Guelph for consultation, or see if you can get a referral to the ortho peeps at Guelph.
I know there's an excellent ortho vet in our area but I know Guelph is closer to you.
Continued good thoughts for our Baloo!!
Oh sweetie. I hope it's just a sprain or something. I have no advice, but will be thinking good thoughts for sweet Baloo.
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever
OK, I was just on Guelph's website, and it's only $30 to have elbow radiographs evaluated by their radiologists, so it looks like I'll be doing that.
If I can, that is, it says on the website that the dog need to be 18 months, but that's to be declared free from ED (used for breeding and such, I'm assuming, they can register their results with the OVC) but I'm not looking for that, so maybe they'll do them for me..?? Worth a shot, I guess.
I hope my vet isn't offended. I don't think she will be, and to honest, at this point I don't really care. :P
Sending good thoughts for Baloo. I'm hoping it is just a sprain/strain. I will check back after your vet visit.
Hope all turns out o.k, just had a friend go through the same thing with his 6 month old- everything turned out negative and after total rest and anti-inflamatories he is all better! Heres hoping it is just a strain!