Teaching to "wave goodbye"

Thread: Teaching to "wave goodbye"

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeaching to "wave goodbye"

I'm stumped on how to start this trick. I thought it would be cute to have Rocky "say goodbye" to our patients at the hospital.

He can sit up on his hind legs ("fait le beau") and he can give a paw "paw". (yes he is bilingual, some tricks have french commands others are english).

How to I get him to sit on his hind leg and wave one paw (or do I just skip the two leg part and have him kinda high five from afar?)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teaching to "wave goodbye"

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    ...How to I get him to sit on his hind leg and wave one paw (or do I just skip the two leg part and have him kinda high five from afar?)
    That's pretty much the way I taugh Mick & Caleb to wave. I held my hand up for a high five, then moved it back just out of their reach as their paw came up.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

I did this with Buddy for the same reason. I started from the "give me your paw" trick. I ask for his paw and then hesitate taking it. Evidentually, I'd move more into heel position when I asked for paw. When he'd pick it up, I'd give him a treat. I also started a new visual command for wave. With my hand at my side, palm facing forward, I'd wave my fingers bye-bye in an upside down motion. This is his cue to "wave". Good luck.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'll have to try this! I've been trying to teach Henry to "say hello" by waving a paw for THE longest time... he can shake, he knows high 5, but "say hello" has eluded him.

I'm going to try to clicker him into it.

My old GSD learnt this in a bizarre way. One day she was outside and I leaned out the window from the second story to check on her while I was eating a sandwich. Being a bit of a food orientated girl, she attempted to shake hands with me (thinking she would get some of my sandwich), but all she was doing was waving in the air. After that I just reinforced that. ;D