Coughing/Gagging

Thread: Coughing/Gagging

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultCoughing/Gagging

Mo has had this strange cough/gag for about a year now. My vet has checked him in his exams and doesn't quite know what it is. She says it might be 'drainage' from his allergies.

Joe Maringo and I have spoken and his Diesel has what sounds like the same thing. It happens to Mo when he goes to bark sometimes when he's excited or it's even happened when he's lying down ready to go to sleep.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would love to know what it is. My vet has even palpated his esophagus to see if that might be a problem. Nothing....he didn't even gag when she touched it ???
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Coughing/Gagging

Sounds like early stages of laryngeal paralysis. My vet did on endoscope on Mick to diagnose it.
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=861

I did read the article and thank you for the info, BUT he doesn't sound hoarse or anything. It's just a coughing/gagging and sometimes will spit up white foam...not very often, though. I appreciate the info.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

I have heard Mo's cough/wretch over the phone while talking to Tam. Having had a dog with laryngial paralisis it does not sound like that. I don't want to make you worry Tam, but I have come down to the conclusion that Diesel has a mass or tumor that is causing pressure and making him cough. Just because they have the same cough does not mean Mo's is the same thing though. Sadly, I think we are nearing the end for my dear Diesel. Between the cough, his gums being pale, his tongue being on the blue side sometimes, and now he is having trouble walking and standing. Poor old guy was a constant companion to Maddie and now that she is gone he seems to have just given up.

Sorry to hijack Tam, my best to the Mo man.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

My brother's dog just had an extensive workup for a similar issue. E-mail from him:

So far, the vet said that from the X-ray, her lungs were much lighter (except for a few darker areas) than usual, meaning (I think) that the tissue is lower density than normal. When he looked in with the bronchoscope, he could see her bronchial passages tending to collapse when she exhales. From what I’ve read, if the lungs aren’t working right, they tend to grow larger to compensate, and this is probably why he wants to do the echo cardiogram: to see if the lungs are putting undue pressure on her heart.

Other than the coughing, she’s lost about 6 pounds, and with that and the weather cooling off, she seems a little more frisky these days.
    They also did a pleural tap looking for cancer, found none. They did do an echocardiogram, which was fine. So basically her bronchial passageways collapse. They put her on a cough suppressant and a bronchodilator, which has helped her tremendously along with some weight loss (she was a bit on the chunky side). She was also ruled out for congestive heart failure - coughing is a symptom. She is a 13-year-old Lab/Pit mix.

OMG....now I'm really worried I appreciate all the replies and info, but I am worried. I'm calling to call the vet tomorrow to see what they recommend.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Mo's cough (without actually hearing it) sounds similar to the one that Matt has........cough/gag/vomit sound?

Matt has chronic bronchitis. Not so bad now as it was few years ago.....only hear a cough about once a fortnight now. Still haven't decided if it has a seasonal, allergy related component. Has your vet considered this as possibly being Mo's problem?

Won't someone please feed me!

She has never mentioned chronic bronchitis. He does have inhalent allergies and has had them for most of his life, but this is the first time he's ever had this cough. I give him monthly injections and I also give him diphenhydromine with his breakfast and dinner.

Can they test for bronchitis? Does Matt take meds for his bronchitis?
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MosMom
    She has never mentioned chronic bronchitis. He does have inhalent allergies and has had them for most of his life, but this is the first time he's ever had this cough. I give him monthly injections and I also give him diphenhydromine with his breakfast and dinner.

Can they test for bronchitis? Does Matt take meds for his bronchitis?
    Matt was put under GA and had a "tracheal wash" and a sample was sent off to the path lab for cytology. He was put on a short course of preds. I found that was enough to get the worst of the coughing under control and he has never been quite as bad, as he was at that time, again (I think that would have been 3 - 4 years ago now).

Won't someone please feed me!