buying my first crate soon....

Thread: buying my first crate soon....

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Defaultbuying my first crate soon....

With the arrival of my pup just over a month away i have started to get prepared for his arrival by buying some bits and pieces for him.

I have had labs all my life but have never used a crate with them, but since joining JL and reading about how great you all rate them i intend to get one for the new arrival.

What in your opinions is the best size to go for?

this will be mainly for indoor use, our dog vehicle is a landrover and so there is plenty of room in the back of there to anchora crate of quite a large size.

Do you buy one that the dog will grow into or do you start off with a small one and build up?

Any advice on crates and crating proceedures would be greatfully received....

Thanks guys

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: buying my first crate soon....

I have a 42" crate with a divider. The divider allows you to make it small when they are puppies, and then enlarge it as they grow.
    <br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Check your local Goodwill, or other type of thrift shop. We bought two new crates for Romy $5 each. They had several to chose from.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

We have all kinds of crates. if I had it to do again, I would go with a large one with a divider.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

ginger's is a 48" (she has PLENTY of room) and came with a divider but i didn't need to use the divider with her.

oh and it a metal crate not plastic.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChowHound
    I have a 42" crate with a divider.&#160; The divider allows you to make it small when they are puppies, and then enlarge it as they grow.&#160;
    Ditto. And Baloo has lots of room in this one. (He may still grow a bit, but not enough to make it uncomfortable at all.&#160; )

We used the divider and adjusted it as he grew. I think it was helpful. You don't want to give them too much room, otherwise they'll pee/poop in one corner and sleep in another. Just give them enough room to lay down and turn around comfortably.

I think the crate made all the difference in housetraining. Honestly, I have no idea how we would have done it without the crate.&#160;

ETA: his "house" crate is wire as well, we also have a travel one for him that is lightweight fabric. But I'd highly suggest using the wire one as opposed to plastic.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

I would not get a 48 inch long crate; they are simply too big. I have GSDs and co-owned a bullmastiff for awhile, everyone has been downgraded to a 42, which are large enough for all the dogs. I like the 36 inch long for the car, for traveling, etc, and all the dogs go in it for that and any visitors go in a 36. Even my super tall and long GSD bitch fits in it, although she does have to curl up.

Use a divider to only have a small area for the puppy at first and open it up as the pup becomes larger. The area should just be big enough for the pup to stand and turn around. At first, the divider may only be 6-8 inches from the door, and it will look small, but there is plenty of room and it will teach the pup not to soil his place.

Midwest homes makes great crates, but I'm not sure if they are available outside of the US. Also, Precision makes nice crates.

Good luck!

Anne is offline Senior Member

I second (or is it third? fourth??) the 42' crate. As for mats or padding, you may want to see how trustworthy Jed (GREAT name!! ;D) can be around soft material.

We bought an el cheapo faux sheepskin thingy for the bottom of Piper's crate. It has worked well, and I knew (because it is cheap) if any accidents happened, there would not be too much to lose. Piper is 15 weeks today, and I just ordered her some more permanent bedding.

As far as training is concerned, just give the pup time to get acclimated to the crate. The first night *might* be a little hairy, but if you are consistent, he will get accustomed to the crate very quickly.

I have to say, I am so enjoying reading your threads about adding a third Lab to your family. My hubby and I added a third in September. Like you, we already had 2 adult males. I know how excited you are. Can't wait to see pictures of little Jed!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi Kate. My vote also goes to a 42" with a divider. If you get a smaller one the chances are he will outgrow it quite quickly so it's probably more cost effective to go for the bigger one. New crates can be expencive so check your local newspapers/free ad's for a 'bargin' one.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys for the, as usual, sound advice, i will be looking for a second hand, good condition 42" metal crate with a divider, then monitoring the bedding...that's clear now, i can begin my search knowing exactly what i am after-

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#