Update--it really is Kennel Cough

Thread: Update--it really is Kennel Cough

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate--it really is Kennel Cough

Well, I just got back from the vet. He definitely has kennel cough. Chances are 50-50 that Teddy will also get it.
    I just hope Jefferson gets well enough to go the Rally Trial that we had signed up for next Saturday and Sunday. Vet said if he is still coughing--don't go! So we have until Friday to get well. There goes our rally practice on Monday night and agility class on Wednesday.

I think Jefferson has kennel cough. I took him to a show and Go on Sunday, Wednesday he started that "I've got something in my throat" cough. Tonight it is much worse and it finally dawned on me that he may have kennel cough.
    Does this require a vet visit? I've read that you can give robitussin dm for kc. How much?
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough??

I, personally (because I'm an over-protective mom would take him to see your vet. I believe there are antibiotics for kennel cough, if that is what it is.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

Even though Buddy and Mason have the vaccine, they each have gotten it once. Once from day care and once while kenneled at the vet for vacation. Get the cough medicine and anitbiotics. It will help everyone sleep better. It gets worse at night and is very difficult for them to lay down and get comfortable. It is a dry hacking, like there is something stuck in their throat. With the meds, both were better wihtin 24 hours, and we all slept!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

The antibiotics do nothing for kennel cough. It needs to run it course. The antibiotics will however, keep the dog from developing a secondary infection like pneumonia. I lost a dog to secondary pneumonia from kennel cough. Even though I have, I generally do not put them on antibiotics when I know they have kennel cough. If they start running a fever or showing signs of pneumonia, then I will take them into the vet.

Its your call. Some feel better being safe than sorry.

Laura

Laura, I was hoping you would see this!
    I knew that I had read that it needed to just run its course! (viral) Right now his cough is not too bad--but is definitely worse than yesterday. He isn't coughing at night, just with exercise. Should I just wait and see or give him some robittusin? How much can I give a 70 lb. dog?
    He doesn't seem to feel bad, just coughs after romping with Teddy.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

labby is offline Senior Member

Then cut out the romps with Teddy. If the coughing gets bad then I might give some cough meds (read the label for dosage for 70# child) I generally don't give anything unless its spastic coughing. I don't like to take cough meds for myself either unless the coughing gets spastic and I can't stop. I'm not a over-medication person but then again I'm not a vet and this is just what I do or don't do.

Laura

Thanks! I will call my vet in the am, but I know that when I adopted Teddy he had a slight case of kennel cough and the vet told me that it would run its course. No treatment.
    So right now I won't do anything, but reserve the cough medicine for if it gets worse. (And hope that Teddy doesn't get it!)
    Joe Biden, 2006