I need your help

Thread: I need your help

Buddy and Bailey is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need your help

I start a full-time job in 2 weeks. My dogs are use to me being home all day . what can I do to make them be ready for me gone all day. I was orginallyl going to come home on my lunch but now I can't because I am training at a different location so they need to adjust to me being gone each day. My thoughts where to slowly disappear more and more each day - only down fall to this I want to be home the week before to give my house a good cleaning. Any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need your help

I would try going out for a bit more each day. Although Rowan is in her crate I live a radio on in the kitchen for her.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What is your new routine like? how long will you be gone for?

I'm assuming you have left them alone in the past and they are ok with that.

If they are able to free roam and have a good dose of exercise before you go, my hunch is that they will be fine. If you will be gone for most of the day, if you can, have someone pop round at lunchtime to let them out. Or better still, hire a dog walker for a couple of days a week to break it up a bit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddy and Bailey is offline Senior Member

they will be alone from 645-330. In the new year I will be 5 mins from home but I won't be for the next 2 months when training they have been left alone once in awhile but not all day every day. Maybe I will see if I can get a walker in for 2 months. Have to talk to huibby

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If you could get a walker that would be fantastic as 9 hours is a long time. Hiring a walker will make leaving them for that amount of time very doable.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think a dog walker is a good idea as well. Also, try not to make a really big deal out of it when the time comes. If you lavish attention on them just before you leave they won't understand and will probably feel anxious about the transition. Being calm and cool about parting and then returning tells the dog that it's not a big deal, nothing to be worried or anxious about, just a part of the regular routine.

Peanut used to have big issues with separation anxiety. One of the things that I think really helped was that I started completely ignoring her when I would leave or come back (until she settled down, and then I would pet her and say hello) It took a lot of the build-up of anxiety away.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!