Suggestions please...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions please...

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultSuggestions please...

Okay, this is my situation. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Rowan does not do well with recall hence I don't let her off to run when we are on the walking trail. The trail is about 3 km in length but runs through the back part of town.

I have been using her retractable so she can 'sniff' and explore but when I meet up with other people and dogs I have very little control over her. She begins jumping around and acting like a wild horse.

So, I was putting two collars on her and using the retractable with the flat until we met up with someone and then I would switch and clip the 6ft lead (that hangs over my shoulder onto her prong).

THe problem is -

1. I feel that I am not letting her get to know other dogs by doing this but then this way I at least have control over her.
    2. By having the 6ft and prong on all the time she doesn't get to explore
    3. By having the prong on and meeting up with dogs who are running free and 'distracting her' she gets the 'prong' feeling while I am trying to teach her yet they are being a nuisance to her.. kwim??

I want her to learn but I also want her to be able to have fun and be a 'dog' too. KWIM.?? :-[
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Suggestions please...

How is Rowan's recall without the distraction of other dogs? I mean, if you were walking her on the trail, off leash, she would stick by you (sniffing/running around/exploring too, of course) and if you were to call her, she would come back?

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Patty, do you have another dog park you can take her to to practice off leash recall with distractions? or a friend with another lab?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Has Rowen taken an obedience class? She needs to learn to listen with distractions, all kinds, people, etc.

I would suggest a good obedience class (Not petsmart!) where they train you to be better able to control your dog.

I wouldn't let my dogs play with a dog who was going to jump all over them, or who was wearing a prong collar. I wouldn't want to risk the dog getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    How is Rowan's recall without the distraction of other dogs? I mean, if you were walking her on the trail, off leash, she would stick by you (sniffing/running around/exploring too, of course) and if you were to call her, she would come back?
    Umm, depends. If she got the scent of another dog. No.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    Patty, do you have another dog park you can take her to to practice off leash recall with distractions? or a friend with another lab?
    No, this trail I take her on is really not a 'dog park' per say. It isn't fenced and anyone - even ppl without dogs walk up there. I have a friend with a dog who plays with Rowan occasionally.... but she has recently gotten herself another and is training her so it isn't the most ideal situation.. kwim??

Yes, Rowan has been to obedience class. She was about 6-8 months old when I took her.

Should I just go straight with the prong and 6ft lead everyday for a few weeks?

Well with the jumping I hear you we use a gentel leader it is a miracle device she has not jumped or pulled in months since we put it on her.

I have a harness I used to use for her but found it didn't work all that much.

When nobody is on the trail - she is an 'angel'.. walks nice, listens.... it is all those 'other' times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast